Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
Not going to deny... the only reason I got my Silkie was in the hope of getting a girl to be a broody. Since then I've read conflicting information on how good they are at it... but I still want a few more Silkies!
My silkie is a wonderful mom. If not a little too willing to be one.... she goes broody 3 or more times a year. :th

Hi everyone I really enjoyed reading about your incubating stories. My daughter bought me a incubator for Mother Day so I will be looking for some Serama Eggs to try hatching. I am also in Maryland and was thinking about finding someone local or seeing if I could order fertile eggs. My daughter got me the Brinsea Mini II advanced. It holds 7 eggs and is enough for me to enjoy raising a few more chicks. Last year for Mothers Day she gave me a small coop, thats been sitting empty all year long. My son has RR and Orps plus Easter Eggers and Welsummers that I have hand raised since they were a day old. So I guess in her own way she was telling me use my coop for more chickens. Ones I can play with and enjoy. So best of luck to everyone incubating eggs and hope soon I will be joining in.
You're daughter sounds amazing! Wish my son or husband had that much good sense!!!

Not going to deny... the only reason I got my Silkie was in the hope of getting a girl to be a broody. Since then I've read conflicting information on how good they are at it... but I still want a few more Silkies!
My original 2 silkie hens are ones I got from the mixed bantam bin from tsc 2 springs ago. One of them went broody last fall, so I gave her eggs to set on.... when it came to hatch time, she killed the first two babies that hatched and that was enough for me.. I quickly took the last egg away and put it in my bator to finish hatching.. that baby is now grown and is a fine addition to my layer flock (a barnyard mix from my cinnamon queen hen and australorpe roo) . After that, I said never again would I let them brood another clutch. Fast forward, I decided those two silkies were not good quality (they are huge for one thing, and their feathers are kindof stiff all in the wing areas, etc) . So I decided to order show quality silkie eggs to hatch. I ended up with smaller, perfectly cuddly silkies. 3 roos, and 2 hens. Well, one of those silkie hens has been broody for almost 2 months now, and has hatched out 3 wonderful babies and is still setting on eggs. Its like the other 3 silkie females have all decided to keep laying eggs for her to set. Im worried actually about her health. It cant be good for her to set so long, only getting up once daily. But she is a perfectly wonderful broody mama for me. Her name is Moana :)

My original 2 silkie hens are ones I got from the mixed bantam bin from tsc 2 springs ago. One of them went broody last fall, so I gave her eggs to set on.... when it came to hatch time, she killed the first two babies that hatched and that was enough for me.. I quickly took the last egg away and put it in my bator to finish hatching.. that baby is now grown and is a fine addition to my layer flock (a barnyard mix from my cinnamon queen hen and australorpe roo) . After that, I said never again would I let them brood another clutch. Fast forward, I decided those two silkies were not good quality (they are huge for one thing, and their feathers are kindof stiff all in the wing areas, etc) . So I decided to order show quality silkie eggs to hatch. I ended up with smaller, perfectly cuddly silkies. 3 roos, and 2 hens. Well, one of those silkie hens has been broody for almost 2 months now, and has hatched out 3 wonderful babies and is still setting on eggs. Its like the other 3 silkie females have all decided to keep laying eggs for her to set. Im worried actually about her health. It cant be good for her to set so long, only getting up once daily. But she is a perfectly wonderful broody mama for me. Her name is Moana :)

I'd take the rest of the eggs and either toss them or put them in the incubator. If she has chicks to raise, she needs to be done sitting. Usually they will quit on their own, but if I find later-added eggs after chicks start hatching, I remove them. Just did it in 3 nests tonight.

This is good to know. Pouf's a feed store Silkie, but I suspect 'she' is going to turn out to be a 'he', though it's too soon to make a call on that, I think. That may be my pessimism talking. I have every intention of getting my additional Silkie eggs from a private/show breeder, instead. Having to kill one chick to save it from a slow death from genetic defect was enough of a lesson for me to never buy feed store chicks again. Fortunately, my remaining Sebrights seem to be healthy and hearty, and so does Pouf.

See? I'm already making plans for the next batch of shipped eggs... so far I've found myself a breeder to get bantam Sumatra eggs from, and two to get bantam Lavender Ameraucana eggs from! Now, if one of those three just raised Silkies, as well...

No broody, she sat for 3 hours and that was it today. Not clucking anymore either. :(

I'm getting the feeling that she just isn't going to go all the way over -- at least not in time to raise any chicks that hatch. If I didn't have such a big rooster, I would get a couple of silkies.
Haha I have one of those too! I call her my "pretend mama". She did it twice & the second time seemed very serious about it but was off the nest within a couple hours

No broody, she sat for 3 hours and that was it today. Not clucking anymore either. :(

I'm getting the feeling that she just isn't going to go all the way over -- at least not in time to raise any chicks that hatch. If I didn't have such a big rooster, I would get a couple of silkies.

So sorry, may still happen. :fl:fl

X2 I think there is still a chance. My Cochin was a clucking little turkey (but still laying and roosting at night) for several weeks before she actually committed. And she has been a great mom!

Back
Top Bottom