Adventures with day-old-mail-chicks and broody hen (& pictures & a chigger question)

Nice that your broody adopted the chicks because that can be a dicey proposition. As for the chiggers prevention, others have given you some good ideas but I would recommend Chigarid as a treatment if/when you are bitten. Based on this summer's experiences with their pestilence, I may need a 55 gallon drum of the stuff. They have been brutal along the central VA/NC border.

We have terrible chiggers, I feel your itch! About 4 years, ago we switched to Insect Shield socks for the spring and summer (ordered from Walmart, Amazon, Ebay, Insect Shield, etc. depending on best price/individuals sock preference). Also use permethrin spray tx (Sawyer, Insect Shield, etc.) on outside shoes/boots. Since we started no chiggers or ticks! (DH was tick magnet when shooting/hunting, we got a permethrin treated canvas ground cloth to use anytime kneeling/ laying on ground which has almost eliminated ticks found on head and chiggers at waist!) I love my bug repellent hats to reduce ticks/gnat/mosquito attacks. You have to be religious about wearing or chiggers find you! I feel good using around chickens permethrin spray recommended for insect control/coop treatment. HTH.
PS Nieces/nephews look forward to chigger socks each Christmas!
Sounds like you're an expert! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom