Adventures with day-old-mail-chicks and broody hen (& pictures & a chigger question)

3buffs1barred4chicks

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
We mail ordered four chicks in April, last Wednesday. they arrived. We received 6 chicks, unfortunately one of them passed away during shipping. Wednesday afternoon we tried introducing the five alive chicks to our broody hen, Cinnamon. She's over a year old, and has been broody for about a month.
She was not a fan. We'd moved her to our brooder w/a connected run, and though the babies loved her, she didn't care for them, instead just pacing the run, sqawking for her friends outside. After a couple violent pecks at the chicks, we actually removed Cinnamon and she went back to her original nest in the coop. It's been uber hot here in Texas, we felt comfortable leaving the chicks in the brooder by themselves, with a heating pad in the coop, and me checking on them what felt like every five minutes. We showed them their food and water, and let them hang out.

That night, we closed the hens in their coop, and around ten pm tucked the chicks under Cinnamon, moving their food and water into the nest beside them. Thursday morning I was up before the sun (a rarity for me...) and outside the coop with my heart in my chest. Cinnamon was letting the chicks clamber over her, murmuring to them and immediately tucked them under herself when we peeked in. The hens coop is quite elevated, and we didn't feel comfortable letting her raise the chicks in it, not sure how they would get up and down. I scooped up the chicks and settled them and their new mama into a bin to transfer them over to the brooder.
Cinnamon and her chicks, as of Sunday are happy and full of energy. They aren't sure how they feel about me yet, but we're working on it...

On a completely different note, what do y'all do about chiggers? They don't seem to be bothering the chickens or the babies, but they are definitely bothering me. Our coop & brooder are far back in our yard, partly under trees, in a kinda undeveloped part of our lawn (lots of dead leaves & miscellaneous plants). We don't want to treat the chiggers with something that'll hurt our chickens, but it's getting harder and harder to go out to hang out with them, or even hang out with them when I just continuously get more and more chigger bites!

And the promised pictures....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 9.18.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 9.18.30 PM.png
    4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    413.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2182.JPG
    IMG_2182.JPG
    881.3 KB · Views: 11
Make a solution of lavender essential oil and water. Spray it on your shoes and ankles. Plant lavender where ever you can, near the door, under trees, etc. Your chickens will probably eat the flowers.

If you're able to mow a wide strip between the woods and the coop it may help.

I'm not sure why it works, but a dot of nail polish on the bite helps a great deal. Chiggers are the worst!

Make a solution of lavender essential oil and water. Spray it on your shoes and ankles. Plant lavender where ever you can, near the door, under trees, etc. Your chickens will probably eat the flowers.
Lemongrass essential oil works great as well. Please make sure the oils are 100% essential with no fillers or perfume added for scent. You can make a spray using witch-hazel water and the essential oil. I'm an oily chick as well as mother to a bunch of chooks.

Well thank y'all anyway!!
We have terrible chiggers, I feel your itch! About 4 years, ago we switched to Insect Shield socks for the spring and summer (ordered from Walmart, Amazon, Ebay, Insect Shield, etc. depending on best price/individuals sock preference). Also use permethrin spray tx (Sawyer, Insect Shield, etc.) on outside shoes/boots. Since we started no chiggers or ticks! (DH was tick magnet when shooting/hunting, we got a permethrin treated canvas ground cloth to use anytime kneeling/ laying on ground which has almost eliminated ticks found on head and chiggers at waist!) I love my bug repellent hats to reduce ticks/gnat/mosquito attacks. You have to be religious about wearing or chiggers find you! I feel good using around chickens permethrin spray recommended for insect control/coop treatment. HTH.
PS Nieces/nephews look forward to chigger socks each Christmas!

We have terrible chiggers, I feel your itch! About 4 years, ago we switched to Insect Shield socks for the spring and summer (ordered from Walmart, Amazon, Ebay, Insect Shield, etc. depending on best price/individuals sock preference). Also use permethrin spray tx (Sawyer, Insect Shield, etc.) on outside shoes/boots. Since we started no chiggers or ticks! (DH was tick magnet when shooting/hunting, we got a permethrin treated canvas ground cloth to use anytime kneeling/ laying on ground which has almost eliminated ticks found on head and chiggers at waist!) I love my bug repellent hats to reduce ticks/gnat/mosquito attacks. You have to be religious about wearing or chiggers find you! I feel good using around chickens permethrin spray recommended for insect control/coop treatment. HTH.
PS Nieces/nephews look forward to chigger socks each Christmas!
I can't even imagine what it would be like. I have no idea what they are but will research asap. Best of luck warding them off!

Back
Top Bottom