Advice about crippled chicken

kimballchickens

Hatching
Aug 28, 2016
I got this chicken a year last May. She immediately became my favorite as she had the most personality. My nanny girl affectionately named her Ity Bitty because she was the smallest. She is a Wyandotte and injured her left leg/foot. As she grew up it became more of a stub, but she became my best layer and still had the best personality.

A month and a half ago she started to refuse to come out of the coop and stayed on the bottom of the coop. She stopped laying eggs and i soon noticed her favored her right leg now. She hops around on her stub and uses her wing to keep herself from falling. It truly breaks my heart. She eats out of my hand and i have fashioned her own personal water container.

Today i opened the coop to clean it and she basically half hopped and half fell out of the coop trying to get into the sunshine. I picked her up and put her in the yard. I have never done that before. I also picked her up and flipped her over to examine her right leg. There appears to be nothing wrong except for the fact that she is massively poopy.

Any ideas on what could be wrong. She is my favorite and it just breaks my heart.

Back
Top Bottom