Advice for building a snare for arial attacks

smirch9

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I need to build a snare to catch unwanted arial predators fighting my roosters and killing them. Please give me pictures and any information pertaining to building one. Esseciantly I'm looking for smomething a bird can roost on when coming into attaack with a built in snare to catch them.
Thanks!

Just get yourself from netting to cover up your runs.

The thing is, birds of prey are protected, so harming them (even if you are protecting your livestock) is very illegal. And those are the only birds you'd really be ensnaring, are larger birds of prey. Do yourself a favor and forget snaring them, and just work to build protective measures for your chooks rather than donate to the government in the form of a very large fine.

I appreciate your input, however I am not asking whats legal or illegal. I already have netting protecting my birds when they free range, but neoprene netting doesn't withstand the powers of some animals. It may be illegal to kill a bird of prey, that for which I am not going to do. I want a snare to build to catch a bird of prey, to release it elsewhere. Now if anybody has any information building an arial snare I'd appreciate your input.

Juat so you know to, I own a gamebird farm. I wouldn't do anything that is illegal, seeing how I have periodic visits from my local game warden.

Last edited:
I have seen videos on youtube on this subject.
You are gonna have to relocate at least 50 miles from what i was told by the game warden years ago when i took a red tailed hawk to them that was hit by a automobile.

I would try to contact falconers for input/advice. Depending on age and species, they might know apprentices or others that are looking for birds. They would have the proper permits to capture, handle and transport birds of prey. They could also tell you what you can do to deter the birds from returning.

You can find out about local falconers from your local DNR or Fish & Game or other natural resource agency.

If they're protected under the Endangered Species Act, it's illegal not just to kill them but to interfere with their reproduction or harass them in any way. That includes trapping them. There are probably trappers with the proper permits to trap and relocate raptors.

If your raptor population is more than just a few individuals you might just have to get stronger netting since trapping will be too expensive and tedious.

Back
Top Bottom