Wasp Advice/Assistance please?

Justmewithchix

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
NW Florida
I discovered (amd I don't know how I missed them until now) wasp or hornet nests in and around my coop and need some help to A) Identify if possible, and B) Know what to do with them. I don't necessarily WANT to kill them, but I don't really like the idea of an active nest INSIDE the enclosed coop either.

There's two inside the coop, one does not seem to have any activity that I saw, and the other currently has one building on it, and the third nest is outside on the under side of the eves.

The outside nest, though its hard to see in the picture, I THINK I've identified as Bald Faced Hornets, there seem to be two working on the nest currently.

The one inside is the one I can't really identify. I was researching what types are in my area (NW Florida panhandle) in an attempt to identify it, but I can't quite figure it out. The body is all dark, as are the wings, and you can kind of see a lighter color on some of its legs, though the nest location didn't really allow for a ton of light to get a better look. (and i apologize for the poor picture quality on all of these, but I have a deep fear of all things stingy and don't feel comfortable getting much closer to get a picture of it...)

What do I do with these guys?? Help and advice please? Thank you!!

Attachments

• image000001(2).jpg
    image000001(2).jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 14
  • image000000(4).jpg
    image000000(4).jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image000001(1).jpg
    image000001(1).jpg
    145 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If they are bald faced hornets (it's hard to tell from the pictures) wait till dusk before you try to get rid of the nest. They'll all be inside and a little less active at that time. They can be aggressive so you do not want to let them make a bigger nest near where you're going to be around a lot. If you don't want to use chemicals around your chickens - water, dish soap and peppermint oil works pretty well on wasps and hornets. Soak the nest, knock it down and smash it if it's just a small one. Peppermint oil is also a deterrent for wasps and hornets. But if it's really high up you will probably need the commercial spray that can shoot long distances.

I would lock the chickens out, spray, run, then come back. If any has dripped onto the wood or shavings, just wipe it up and scoop up any wet shavings. Let the spray dry for a little while, then let the chickens back inside.

That's what I'd do. I can't say how "safe" it is, but if you've ever been nailed by hornets, wasps or any type of stinging flying things, you'll want them gone.

These pictures aren't clear enoiugh for me to tell what sort of wasp.

It does look like a newly started nest, very few wasps. You can probably just knock it down and they'll go somewhere else.

Painting the undersides of boards with glossy paint will discourage them some. Supposedly so will putting up a fake wasp nest (a party store paper lantern painted tan).

Thank you guys for the replies. As of this morning, I discovered one additional hornet on the outside nest and a wasp on, what I thought was, the empty nest on the inside.

So after doing some thinking, I'm probably going to go with the the above suggested brand wasp killer, as all my reading and already existing fear is getting me really nervous and I just want them gone. I'll lock the chickens out like suggested, and my coop is actually built in a way I can open a side spring door (nesting nook access), spray, close and run, so I might just do that for the inside guys.

I have some peppermint oil spray coming that I'm going to spray along the entire outside eves and openings (after I get rid of the hornets under the eves) as a temporary deterrent until I come up with something to do in addition to keep them off the coop.

Thank you guys again for the replies! I just wanted to get some feedback before defaulting to the commercial chemical sprays in case there was something else first.

I just hang around and wait for them to fly away, then I knock down the nest.
They will try a new spot, then another new spot, then they give up and go somewhere else where they think they have a chance at raising a deadly awful family.

They've been trying to move into my new A-frame swing build.

If I remember correctly, these types of wasps hatch a few, then those babies build on to where they hatched and hatch more, and those build on - etc., etc.. So with a small one, you are NIPPIN' IT IN THE BUD!

I just hang around and wait for them to fly away, then I knock down the nest.
They will try a new spot, then another new spot, then they give up and go somewhere else where they think they have a chance at raising a deadly awful family.

They've been trying to move into my new A-frame swing build.

If I remember correctly, these types of wasps hatch a few, then those babies build on to where they hatched and hatch more, and those build on - etc., etc.. So with a small one, you are NIPPIN' IT IN THE BUD!
Unfortunately I don't really have the time at the moment (life is crazy right now) to hang around and wait for them to leave. If that was a luxury I had at the moment I probably would, but due to some circumstances I'm looking at "walk out, take care of it, then leave" kind of solutions 😕

This is a method I'm going to try to use in future though, if possible, as I don't want to make a habit out of using the harsher commercial sprays. It's just necessary in the current instance. Plus there's multiple insects on the nests now so I don't think its ever really left fully alone for me to do this currently...

Back
Top Bottom