Advice for chick that lost toe

lea5ff

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2015
Missouri
We have ten chicks one which we got with a known "bloody toe" when we bought her. It became black and apparently fell off today. I heard some ruckus from their box and got out to see my chicken minus her one toe and she was bleeding while the others were pecking at it. I got her out and have been keeping her in a separate box with food and water. She has been sleeping and showing no interest in food or water. Should I attempt to clean the foot? Thoughts on neosporin? Any advice is appreciated.

Yes keep it clean and Neosporin works well none with pain killer just regular. She will have to stay seperate til she heals. Good luck.

She made it through the night surprisingly and seems to be on the mend. I am extremely concerned about when and how to introduce her back to the others. I'm thinking I should wait until it's 100% healed with no scab at all.

Get some Blue Kote at the feed store to apply it to the toe. That way the others won't be able to see the blood or scab. It will help keep her from getting picked on. She'll be fine.

A small bandaid may hide the wound so that she can be placed back in the brooder with the others. Otherwise she may never be accepted back into her flock.

I attempted to put her back into the brooder on Saturday and almost immediately they began to attack her again. A bandaid won't stay on because her toe is essentially a nub. There is nothing to wrap. There was one chicken who wouldn't even allow her to drink from the waterer. Thoughts on what I can do at this point? Should I get rid of the bully hen or will another just take her place? I've got the chick with the missing toe isolated still since they began to peck at the toe.

Go on-line if your local store doesn't sell the Blue Kote. It literally makes it where they won't see the wound so they won't peck at it. The blue masks the blood from their vision. Well worth getting it shipped since you never know when you will need some next.

Back
Top Bottom