Advice for duck with sprained ankle limping

hayleyasaurus

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2011
East Windsor
Hi!
Two days ago I saw my duck Pip trip over the garden hose. She started limping immediately after. I gave her vitamin b complex and put poultry green goo on her ankle. I also used my red light therapy device on her. I think it looks slightly swollen but nothing crazy. She gets around fine while limping, but I’m worried as I will be leaving on on Friday Aug 12- Tuesday Aug 23 and my brother and dad, who do not have experience with duck medical care, will be taking care of her. Any advice of what else I should do? Should I wrap it or do an epsome salt bath? I have some carprofen, but in the past my vet said she would need to do bloodwork before giving it to her due to her age, 12 years.
Thank you!!
Hayley

Sounds like she sprained her ankle? I'd def do some Epsom salt soals it can help relieve swelling and inflamation. Are you giving anyhting for her arthritis? Just wondering since a friend of mine just had one of her ducks to a vet with arthritis and she was perscribed MSM /Cosequin and since my 11 yr old Muscovy drake limps I have started him on this. 1/4 teaspoon over a treat so he eats the whole thing. He loves dry dog food so that is what Ive been using with just a small amoiunt of water. Meloxicam might be good if you have some it can help with inflammation and pain. I'd keep her where she can rest too. Maybe some water therapy when you can help her get in and out of pool or bath tub.
If you decided to try the Cosequin make sure it has MSM in it the vet said this.

Sounds like she sprained her ankle? I'd def do some Epsom salt soals it can help relieve swelling and inflamation. Are you giving anyhting for her arthritis? Just wondering since a friend of mine just had one of her ducks to a vet with arthritis and she was perscribed MSM /Cosequin and since my 11 yr old Muscovy drake limps I have started him on this. 1/4 teaspoon over a treat so he eats the whole thing. He loves dry dog food so that is what Ive been using with just a small amoiunt of water. Meloxicam might be good if you have some it can help with inflammation and pain. I'd keep her where she can rest too. Maybe some water therapy when you can help her get in and out of pool or bath tub.
If you decided to try the Cosequin make sure it has MSM in it the vet said this.
Thanks! I’ll give her a bath today. I have a ramp for my duck pool so she’s able to get in and out fine so she’s swimming as well. I haven’t been doing anything for the arthritis, I’m not even positive she has it. Her legs were X-rayed a few years back and the vet said that it was basically very strange looking and could be arthritis. At that time it ended up being the niacin and she got better. I’d definitely like to try the supplement though. I don’t see how it could hurt and it’s easy to give her meds. What brand do you use? I googled and saw ones for dogs but they were chewable form, would much rather sprinkle it like you do. Unfortunately I only have carprofen and it can be harmful if her kidneys are perfect apparently. That’s why they said the bloodwork. Thanks again!

The supplement is actually for horses but the only one that had MSM in it which the vet said had to be in it. Also you might try some liquid B complex it's another one that is really good for leg issues. Support. TSC Carrie’s liquid BComplex it’s usually Durvet brand it will say injectable but we use it orally.
CC859B10-6ECC-48E5-93F8-18294262F683.jpeg

Than
The supplement is actually for horses but the only one that had MSM in it which the vet said had to be in it. Also you might try some liquid B complex it's another one that is really good for leg issues. Support. TSC Carrie’s liquid BComplex it’s usually Durvet brand it will say injectable but we use it orally. View attachment 3213965
thanks! Yes I started her on the b complex as well. I’ll pick this up!

I'm so sorry. I'm sure it's going to be difficult to leave your duck that's not feeling so well. Are you keeping her in a small area to limit her movements somewhat? Of course she needs to move around some but with their stoic nature, I'd hate for her to continue aggravating the joint before it's able to heal. This is why I didn't do a lot of pain meds. They don't realize that they need to continue to take it easy and just because they feel some relief, it's not all better just yet 💜
Edited to add : I'm certainly not against pain medication by any means.

I'm so sorry. I'm sure it's going to be difficult to leave your duck that's not feeling so well. Are you keeping her in a small area to limit her movements somewhat? Of course she needs to move around some but with their stoic nature, I'd hate for her to continue aggravating the joint before it's able to heal. This is why I didn't do a lot of pain meds. They don't realize that they need to continue to take it easy and just because they feel some relief, it's not all better just yet 💜
Edited to add : I'm certainly not against pain medication by any means.
Yes makes sense! I’ve had her in the pen more and have been letting her out supervised. Lol lucky for me this girl is pretty smart and seems to know she should take it easy. She’s hasn’t been going around foraging but went from her pen to a tree area they like to hang at. Definitely worried about leaving her though they’re more skittish around the guys.

I agree with limiting movement. My vet has had me put my ducks on crate rest when they hurt themselves. Or, for my ducks with arthritis we made the aviary smaller. She was confined to a very small area and I took her for a very short (few minute) foraging walk once or twice a day and carried her back if I noticed her having symptoms.

For short term I would recommend crate rest. For long term I would recommend reducing the duration of activities based on how well she tolerates the arthritis.

I agree with limiting movement. My vet has had me put my ducks on crate rest when they hurt themselves. Or, for my ducks with arthritis we made the aviary smaller. She was confined to a very small area and I took her for a very short (few minute) foraging walk once or twice a day and carried her back if I noticed her having symptoms.

For short term I would recommend crate rest. For long term I would recommend reducing the duration of activities based on how well she tolerates the arthritis.
Thank you! Yes that makes life easier for when I’m not home too. She’s been responding well to her light and bath treatments but my brother and dad can’t continue them.

Back
Top Bottom