advice for introducing 8 week old hens to year old roos

831chickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Mass
Does anybody have any good advice for introducing or new ladies to an older roo? The ladies are out for the first day in their coop and love it!! We let the roo in and all seemed well….but should we separate them at night?

Thanks!!!!

We kept our pullets separate form our older girls for the first week. We had them in a fenced off area in the run so they could still see each other. After letting them out during the day together for a few days, in the middle of the night when the other chickens are in bed, take all the pullets and put them with the older ones. This way they'll be confused and when they all get up in the morning they might just think they were there the whole time. This will just keep the pecking order a little less violent but it doesn't mean it will stop it. They have to develop there pecking order no matter what. It seems like your birds may be getting along fine already but hope this helps a little anyways!

I have 6 week old chicks. Wondering how old they should be before putting them in with my other hens. They know they are there as I have had them in the coop separated by chicken wire. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!! Fingers crossed but the intergration seems to have gone great. We decided to mix up both flocks and change all but our roos and it seemed to have done right! All our hens, and new ladies are all getting along

Back
Top Bottom