Advice/help requested - 8x8 shed to coop conversion

That is going to be one fine coop for your birds and handy/comfortable for you as well, especially in winter you will appreciate the extra room.

When you get the run up - think about covering at least three sides with clear plastic in winter to block the wind.:D

You will find many of us ready to (endlessly) debate the finer points of roost design!:lau
... and any other poultry topic!:lol:
sorry about the bad link

Oh I believe it! I do appreciate differing viewpoints though and so much help!

That is going to be one fine coop for your birds and handy/comfortable for you as well, especially in winter you will appreciate the extra room.

When you get the run up - think about covering at least three sides with clear plastic in winter to block the wind.:D

Yes! I'm so excited for them to enjoy it. Today they were such a soggy mess with all the rain we got, so I can't wait to get this all done. I had to wrap their run walls last year, so I know *that* drill! We also can get hay or straw bales from a farmer friend, which is helpful too :)

I appreciate details, so I figured I'd lay it all out there! Also I'm a visual art person, so I need drawings or photos to fully understand things
We are on the same page ;)

Top hinged windows are best opened to the outside, to deter with rain infiltration, especially where there are no roof overhangs, and to not add interior obstructions or landing/perching places. But that window is so small and your coop is roomy it might not matter and it will be easier to install with window opening to the inside.

Poop board/roost will need to be attached to stud, but size does not have to match studs. I built simple support attached to studs. Poop board bottom is luan and is lined with heavy duty vinyl held down with corner trim. Poop board itself is just tacked thru back edge into stud in 2 places.
full

full

I built my roosts to be removable but found I didn't need to remove them to clean.
Can reach under the 8" clearance with hoe and sifter basket.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

The never ending debate about what size to use for roosts goes on and on,
my advice is use what you want. My birds roost on the 3.5" of a 2x4, and on the 2x2 edge of poop board, and on the poop board itself. Never had toes freeze or damaged tendons or broken keel bones.

They probably will try to land on those ledges....good thinking.
Chicken wire would be better...or, oh!, even maybe just a couple strands of wire at 3-4 and 6-8" above the ledge would deter their landing there and would not collect debris.

We are on the same page ;)

Top hinged windows are best opened to the outside, to deter with rain infiltration, especially where there are no roof overhangs, and to not add interior obstructions or landing/perching places. But that window is so small and your coop is roomy it might not matter and it will be easier to install with window opening to the inside.

Poop board/roost will need to be attached to stud, but size does not have to match studs. I built simple support attached to studs. Poop board bottom is luan and is lined with heavy duty vinyl held down with corner trim. Poop board itself is just tacked thru back edge into stud in 2 places.
full

full

I built my roosts to be removable but found I didn't need to remove them to clean.
Can reach under the 8" clearance with hoe and sifter basket.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

The never ending debate about what size to use for roosts goes on and on,
my advice is use what you want. My birds roost on the 3.5" of a 2x4, and on the 2x2 edge of poop board, and on the poop board itself. Never had toes freeze or damaged tendons or broken keel bones.

They probably will try to land on those ledges....good thinking.
Chicken wire would be better...or, oh!, even maybe just a couple strands of wire at 3-4 and 6-8" above the ledge would deter their landing there and would not collect debris.

Oooh yes I looked through your coop build before while creating my wishlist! That picture is helpful! Is the vinyl just flooring vinyl like what you used on the coop floor? Also I've gotten used to squeezing the upper half of my 5'4" frame into their tiny TSC coop for cleanout, I think I'll be able to easily handle a hip high poop board! :lol:

The wire strands is a great idea - kind of like what you do to deter birds from flying into pens or unwanted areas. I saw this done at a hotel pool once, they used to have a terrible seagull problem (I had one swoop down and snatch a chip from my hand!) but the strands deter them, with the exception of sneaky little sparrows... Anyway! Good idea. I'll have to try and see what happens!

Okay I edited my original drawing, I think I understood your window placement suggestion correctly? Let me know otherwise!

Coop (1).jpg

I also tried to make things slightly more accurate scale-wise... :oops:

You haven't really mentioned it yet, but how are you planning on seating the shed? On a concrete pad, blocks, etc? Ground contact will shorten the life of the shed. We have horrendous termite issues here in Southern Missouri, so wood on the ground is virtually guaranteed to have termite damage within a year.
Shed looks good though, the wife wants one of the pink ones from the shed place here in town... will have to keep her from seeing your finished product.

You haven't really mentioned it yet, but how are you planning on seating the shed? On a concrete pad, blocks, etc? Ground contact will shorten the life of the shed. We have horrendous termite issues here in Southern Missouri, so wood on the ground is virtually guaranteed to have termite damage within a year.
Shed looks good though, the wife wants one of the pink ones from the shed place here in town... will have to keep her from seeing your finished product.

Ah! The shed is set up on a 9'x9' pad of 3 tons of tamped 2B modified stone approx. 4" deep. :thumbsup

You know what they say... Happy wife... ;)

Love the planning and layout!! We just converted our shed 8x12ft to house our chickens. I'll have to take some pictures in morning to show you our lay out, but I'm loving all the ideas and pointers by others on this thread! Keep up the great work!!!

:loveLove your shed and layout! It's amazing what some of us will do for our girls. You have had a lot of great advice already, this site is the best!

I have a similar design for my shed coop, I was lucky in that my shed has 3 windows, one in the front part that I have walled off like you are doing, and 2 in the coop area; as well as the gable vents.

As for your silkie, have you thought about a box on the floor? I have 2 silkies, one of them roosts on the roost board with the other chickens, and the other sleeps in a 3 sided box that the end of the ramp sets on. The open side of the box faces my area so that I can see her and reach her easily.

Love the planning and layout!! We just converted our shed 8x12ft to house our chickens. I'll have to take some pictures in morning to show you our lay out, but I'm loving all the ideas and pointers by others on this thread! Keep up the great work!!!

Cool! Thank you! I spent quite some time going through a bunch of shed coop conversion threads to get ideas - this site & its members have been incredibly helpful!

Today is day 1 of "construction", I'm hoping to get the walls built, along with the poop board and nest boxes. I think I'll wait to install the walls so I have room to maneuver when putting in the "accessories".

Also, @aart , did I undestand you correctly regarding the placement of the windows? With the south window being under the poop board/roost? Or would that be too much draft? Check my updated layout drawing above if you can...

I was out yesterday watching the sun's path on the shed, and may get a couple extra windows today for possible additions later on... thinking on the East wall since it's relatively bare, and doesn't get much wind. We'll see how ambitious I get and how my first time installing windows works out with the little ones! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom