Advice Needed - 5 week old Pekin with respiratory issues.

DuckMom2019

In the Brooder
May 10, 2019
Hi everyone! This is my first thread, I hope I’m doing it correctly.

I have a 5 week old Pekin named Peep who seems to have some respiratory issues. Her breathing has been kind of stuffy sounding over the last week and a few days ago her eyes started getting crusty. I looked in her nostrils and it looks like there’s some gunk in there, I’ve tried everything to get it cleared out with no luck. She doesn’t really ever “snoot” in the water and I feel like this is what caused this issue. When she was little I would have to really work with her to do it and now I can’t get her to do it at all. She did it once today and that’s the first I’ve seen her do it in close to 2 weeks. She dunks her head and splashes around plenty but it doesn’t seem to be doing the trick.
I got some VetRx and gave it to her today but I’m just wondering if you all might have some advice for me. I’ve called every vet within an hour of me and no one works with ducks.
Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of her nares, you can still see through them but I don’t think all the bumps are normal.

Attachments

• 42EAD2D5-17BF-4FF6-8D55-5B9EB71FC301.png
    42EAD2D5-17BF-4FF6-8D55-5B9EB71FC301.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I think the little bumps in her nares are normal. First, make sure she has clean, clean water. My ducks will get crusty eyes if I don't change the water enough.

It is an investment to set up a nebulizer for ducks. However, I have had excellent results with it, and perhaps you can borrow from someone?

I have a people nebulizer, and it is hooked up to let its air out into a large box rather than a people face mask.

I have used F10sc solution (mixed with water per the directions) on ducklings as young as two week old with good results, used three times a day for about 30 minutes. I use it with any duckling that seems to have rough breathing. In one case I had the duckling improve within several days.

Of course it won't cure everything, but it seems quite safe, so I don't hesitate to use it.

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue121.htm
In the website above, scroll down to where it says nebulizer. Mine goes into a closed bin rather than the open one pictured in the article. As air is added constantly it is safe, but I stay in the room to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I will definitely get some F10sc, do you just clean the brooder with it? A nebulizer sounds awesome, would a vaporizer work similarly?
Looking at the photo the bumps do look pretty normal but I think there might be more than usual. I have 6 1-week old mallards that don’t have anything like it but maybe it comes with age or breed? I have a video of her breathing along with better shots of her nares but couldn’t get it to upload, I’ll try to figure it out.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I will definitely get some F10sc, do you just clean the brooder with it? A nebulizer sounds awesome, would a vaporizer work similarly?
Looking at the photo the bumps do look pretty normal but I think there might be more than usual. I have 6 1-week old mallards that don’t have anything like it but maybe it comes with age or breed? I have a video of her breathing along with better shots of her nares but couldn’t get it to upload, I’ll try to figure it out.
You have to post it to YouTube or Vimeo first and then cut and paste the link to it

Back
Top Bottom