Advice needed - Chicken house

CalumW

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
Hi i recently built a chicken house and designed it with the chickens access door being in the floor (not the most popular or practice design i know) but it’s what worked for me best. My only issue is i’m struggling to find a floor covering which they don’t just kick out. Has anyone got any ideas as to what i can use. My original thought when building would be to cover the floor with lino then clear each morning however that didn’t work as i have Pekin bantams and they quickly got poo in their feet feathers. Any advice would be helpful

My suggestion is to raise the bottom portion of pop door opening by 6 inches. That may mean cutting top out by that amount. The floor litter material will not get kicked out with that 6 inch threshold in place. You need a good layer of litter for your chickens to be happy inside coop. Also to contain their gumdrops, and not have to step into them (fresh) all the time. Good litter, may it be straw, hay, pine shavings, or whatever else should incorporate the chicken gumdrops and allow them to dry out naturally.
There is no set rule that a pop door in front is bad,,,, :idunno mine is in front next to the people entry door. I also use an automatic opener so chickens get released into run at crack of dawn. I do not need to get to coop to release them, meaning,, I can sleep in.:)
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Thank you for your suggestions i’m going out today to see what i can do before the new chicken move in next week

Back
Top Bottom