advice needed for wild momma cat

NewChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Omaha, NE
i just went out to give the chickens some midday treats and heard baby kitten noises. i went up into the hay mow and found 3 beautiful calico kittens.

this is the third set of kittens this momma cat has brought (or had) in my barn. the first set of 6, i took from momma when i found them, raised them and then adopted to new homes. the 2nd set was 2 tiny kittens that were very sick and died. this is the third set, they all look healthy and have already eaten 6 ccs of KMR each.

my question is, how do i trap the momma cat? i would like to catch her somehow and get her spayed. she's welcome to stay at my house and eat my cat food, i'd just like her to stop having kittens. any ideas?

i also have my own spayed/neutered barn cats as well that are tame and catchable.

The easiest way will be to get a Hav A Hart live trap and set a can of tuna in there. She will be in there in the morning. You better watch for sharp claws!!!! I learned the hard way LOL!

Hav-a-hart Live Trap, probably raccoon size. Stick a can of tuna or catfood inside and wait. You can disguise it a little by putting it next to a structure and leaning a piece of plywood over it.

Call your local shelter or humane society to see if they have low cost spay clinics or coupons. They might also have a trap you can borrow.

So glad you are getting her fixed.
smile.png

I've had that happen, we try to keep them away from the trap but its hard when you have barn cats. After yours have been caught a few times they tend to catch on and stay away. I know thats not the ideal plan, but eventually you will catch that mamma. Kudos for getting her fixed.

Quote:
They will learn and not go back in after a few times. It won't hurt them.

Good job getting her fixed!!!!!

hi..i know this may sound mean..but..could you use one of her kittens as bait?(like put the kitten back where you found it, or something like that..)..maybe, if she hears it..or smells it..she will probably come around and then you may be able to catch her...good luck!...and thanks for taking care of those babies!...
love.gif
...., Wendy

i agree with everyone about the havahart. you might feed your barncats extra good the night you set the trap out, that way they are lesslikely to be out looking for something yummy to eat. a lot a vets will do low cost spays for ferals too. the next town over they are doing them for free in october! thank you for taking the babies, it sucks they have to be away from mom, but it gets them away from predators, and makes sure they are pest free and healthy!

We do the trap-neuter-release with barn cats --
some of our cats are not very bright and keep getting 'caught' again and again -- and there is occasionally a very angry raccoon in the trap --

But --- eventually you do get the 'targeted' one --

We have found that it helps to cover the trap with something like a piece of tarp or blanket -- we also have an ear on the neutered cats 'notched' as most of ours have been solid black!

If you have a local Humane Society, they may have traps you can borrow --

It's a challenge but the reward of seeing healthy, neutered barn-cats is well worth it --- :)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom