Advice needed! Large lump on chicken’s abdomen

Hlknipher

Hatching
Jun 6, 2019
Hello all! I’ve been following this blog for over a year and have learned invaluable information! This is my first post and am hopeful to hear from experts.
My darling black copper maran named Sage has an egg sized lump on her abdomen between her legs. It feels like a water balloon so is hard but not rock hard. For a long time I figured it was an egg coming but now I realize it’s always there. On the other hand she only lays about two eggs a week on average in spring or summer, so I thought maybe she’s always in a state of backlogged eggs! She’s glossy and healthy, bright red comb, and I would never suspect anything is off except that I hold my chickens a lot so I have felt the lump. Her eggs definitely vary in look. Sometimes they are chocolate brown, sometimes light brown, sometimes long and narrow shaped or warped, sometimes normal. She always has had very large eggs overall. She’s 18 months old and first laid at 6 months.
I am not opposed to bringing her to a vet as I’ve brought another before and there is a good one near me. I’m more uncertain of causing her trauma if this is something that can’t be cured or isn’t actually bothering her. Based on some online research lumps do not seem to have a good prognosis generally. There is one condition that seems drain-able perhaps. Thought I would reach out to this forum before bringing my girl in to a stress filled vet clinic, since she is not acting in the least unhealthy at the moment. Thank you!!!

I noticed this in one of my pullets a few years ago and it turned out to be a hernia. The only way to confirm it would be an ultrasound at the vet. Don't palpitate it too much, it might tear more.

Miss Peep is now four. At around age two she developed an odd way of walking because of the hernia but has lived with it now for almost four years without issue. She lays her eggs just fine.

I noticed this in one of my pullets a few years ago and it turned out to be a hernia. The only way to confirm it would be an ultrasound at the vet. Don't palpitate it too much, it might tear more.

Miss Peep is now four. At around age two she developed an odd way of walking because of the hernia but has lived with it now for almost four years without issue. She lays her eggs just fine.
So glad to hear a good outcome for yours. Thank you for the response!

Back
Top Bottom