Hard crop in morning and weird poops

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
My 18 month girl has been waking up with a hard crop - not large, but definitely has a grainy texture. She’s acting normally. Yesterday I brought her inside for the day - she was hungry so I fed her scrambled eggs. Massaged the crop when she was cooperative, Overnight the scrambled eggs emptied but she still had a hard grainy lump, She’s pooping but they are kind of loose, green and white with a fair bit of liquid, Pics attached. Any ideas? Can’t see vet until tomorrow. She’s also molting.

Attachments

• FD86E813-8B76-4B6C-A897-93C807577D10.jpeg
    FD86E813-8B76-4B6C-A897-93C807577D10.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 79
  • 7E0C17EC-42EA-45C3-BAA3-9A686A000AB9.jpeg
    7E0C17EC-42EA-45C3-BAA3-9A686A000AB9.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 11
  • E9DE028E-44AD-453D-A438-56D14179918D.jpeg
    E9DE028E-44AD-453D-A438-56D14179918D.jpeg
    834.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks! Vet saw her today, she's lost weight...crop didn't seem impacted but it was not hard today like it had been previously, so possibly was impacted beforehand and then unblocked, but it was definitely 'thick'. She's had an injection of antibiotics and subcutaneous fluids, she suspected she might have a bit of an infection going on and is a bit distended, didn't seem concerned about poops. Sent a fecal sample and will go back in next week to see how the antibiotics are working. I'll update more then - Crumpet is my very extra special girl who insists on cuddles every morning, so she absolutely has to get better.

I hope she recovers quickly, keep us posted.
I discovered this morning that a flock mate has roundworms - they were due fo red-worming next month, but it looks like we'll have to do it sooner. I'm hoping that this is the cause of her symptoms - hopefully between the deworming and antibiotic she will do well. I'll let you know her progress - she has a follow-up appointment next week.

I discovered this morning that a flock mate has roundworms - they were due fo red-worming next month, but it looks like we'll have to do it sooner. I'm hoping that this is the cause of her symptoms - hopefully between the deworming and antibiotic she will do well. I'll let you know her progress - she has a follow-up appointment next week.
I hope she recovers quickly, keep us posted.
Update: crop is now feeling much more normal. She had a second round of antibiotics and has been dewormed now, and she’s getting some normal looking poops too. She feels really thin though - won’t touch her normal feed, but is ravenous for baby kale, baby spinach grapes and sweet corn. Some egg, but it’s hit and miss, as is bread. Would not touch tofu. She’s super picky about the size of the food (has to be cut teeny) and texture - not too dry but not wet or sticky. Is this down to her molt? I gave her rooster booster today and think I will put it in everyone’s water. Her molt is pretty heavy, but she’s not acting lethargic or anything.Any suggestions?

Update: crop is now feeling much more normal. She had a second round of antibiotics and has been dewormed now, and she’s getting some normal looking poops too. She feels really thin though - won’t touch her normal feed, but is ravenous for baby kale, baby spinach grapes and sweet corn. Some egg, but it’s hit and miss, as is bread. Would not touch tofu. She’s super picky about the size of the food (has to be cut teeny) and texture - not too dry but not wet or sticky. Is this down to her molt? I gave her rooster booster today and think I will put it in everyone’s water. Her molt is pretty heavy, but she’s not acting lethargic or anything.Any suggestions?
Glad the crop is feeling more normal.

Yes, they can go off their food when in molt, so I'd accommodate her with what she's willing to eat for now. Most usually resume eating their normal feed once they feather back in.

Glad the crop is feeling more normal.

Yes, they can go off their food when in molt, so I'd accommodate her with what she's willing to eat for now. Most usually resume eating their normal feed once they feather back in.
Well she finally seems to be more or less eating now - it has been a tough molt!

My hens get very fussy with food when they are feeling poorly and/or moulting. I had one hen who only ate lettuce and cucumber seeds for awhile. Good on you for caring so well for Crumpet. The worms could definitely have caused the crop blockages and lost weight.

Back
Top Bottom