Advice needed! Merging flocks

HennyPennyMama

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Newbie here! I have 4 hens (1 with special needs) they have been together for the past year and are about 1.5 years old. My friend recent lost his home in our local wildfire. His chickens were untouched by the fire. His flock is also 4 and same aged (1.5 years old). Any advice on how to merge the two together? They are currently at a livestock evacuation center

Here's some tips about....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Here's some tips about....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
I do not have a separate coop or run for them. I think we could fashion a run easily enough, but I’m concerned about the night time. Can I let them sleep together?

I do not have a separate coop or run for them. I think we could fashion a run easily enough, but I’m concerned about the night time. Can I let them sleep together?

Whether you can let them sleep together depends on how they are acting.

Sometimes it works to have the new ones sleep in a dog crate inside the coop, or some similar setup. Or have the old ones sleep in the dog crate while the new ones become familiar with the coop. Since there are equal numbers, you could even trade off which ones sleep where.

Personally, I would be ready with a crate or cage or something, but I would try putting them all together and watch what happens. Occasionally they will surprise you by settling the pecking order quickly and being fine after that. A bit of flapping, chasing, and pecking is acceptable. But you don't want any actual injuries, and you don't want any to hide in a corner for a long time because they're afraid to come out.

Maybe.
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Can you fit a large crate in there or split the coop with a wire wall?

Maybe.
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Can you fit a large crate in there or split the coop with a wire wall?
I know we can put a crate inside. A wall is also possible, but would be concerned about the exit or entry when open. (Really a newbie - maybe not something to worry about). The coop is 6foot square. And 4 foot high. With a side area for nesting.
Not great photos...hopefully you’ll get the idea.
7C5CBA73-E847-49D6-9493-EF105836C94F.jpeg
A37E5F02-1983-4E65-AE9B-89D567650FFD.jpeg
7AE1CFBB-92C4-4473-921B-FA89D72A66DC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom