Advice needed. Running around like a chicken with...

Sorry for your loss. It would be good if you can keep her body cool and double-bagged in the refrigerator and take it in, or send her fo a necropsy via overnight shipping with Fedex or UPS. Here is another link with 2 labs in Mississippi.

You'll need to refrigerate her while you figure out if sending her for a necropsy is what you're gonna do...

I can't swear to the following prices, but it **looks like** https://labs.cvm.msstate.edu/Portal/catalog/list?CatalogSearch=necropsy&lab=1 has a price list for necropsy under 200 pounds, $50 & their CVM Diagnostic Laboratory, results in 4 weeks, give or take, dependent on ancillary tests.

If this still stretches the wallet too thin, you could do a so-so necropsy at home. It would involve opening her up yourself to examine her internal organs. Should you elect for this option, let me know and I'll post a link to some youtube videos on the procedure to help you.

Will support whichever decision you come to, professional necropsy, at home necropsy, or even no necropsy.

Again, my deepest sympathy for your loss.

Thanks, Starkville is only 30 minutes from me. I can take her in the am. I am a State fan(#GoDawgz) but not keen on their chicken practices. I have been told(truth?) That they work with Tyson to develop huge birds. I am told they stand by this practice as safe for the chickens. If this is true, I call BS and hate to support that. I also have a friend that was a vet graduate from MSU(last year) and she confirmed that she had several issues with the practices involving animals. They are expensive but guess that is what I need to do.

Sorry for your loss. It would be good if you can keep her body cool and double-bagged in the refrigerator and take it in, or send her fo a necropsy via overnight shipping with Fedex or UPS. Here is another link with 2 labs in Mississippi.
Thank you so much. I placed her in the freezer and plan to go to MSU in the am after I call them and hear the process. I thank you all so much!!

I hope you meant refrigerator, not sure how well that will work if she's frozen.
Fudge!! I did mean freezer, just saw your post, took her out. She is wrapped in a very fluffy/big comforter and I can't bear to take her out and she will not fit in my refrigerator. I just keep messing everything up.

Fudge!! I did mean freezer, just saw your post, took her out. She is wrapped in a very fluffy/big comforter and I can't bear to take her out and she will not fit in my refrigerator. I just keep messing everything up.
freezer time, max 3.5 hours? cleared the refrigerator out of food and shelves. she is in there now. There is no way she could be frozen with that blanket and my sorry freezer for that time frame(I really hope). do you think it is still doable, taking her to MSU in the morning?

Fudge!! ... I just keep messing everything up.
Stop! You cannot blame yourself for this. YOU noticed she was sick, EVEN when she presented herself as totally healthy. TO LOOK AT HER, you'd never know she was sick, but because you know your girls, you care for them, you knew something was off. YOU sought to find her help in diagnosis, even posting pictures in your effort to find a diagnosis. YOU performed some tests at home that also provided her some comfort and couldn't possibly make her situation worse. YOU took a chicken to bed with you to comfort her and keep yourself aware should anything in her demeanor take a turn for the worst. Some types of illness cannot be fixed. YOU have been the champion for her cause, YOU were her hero and her best friend. And should there be a rainbow road at the end of life, she'll be there waiting for you. Please quit beating yourself up over her loss, it wasn't your fault.

Back
Top Bottom