Advice on injured dog

Quote:
Buffered aspirin is fine for dogs as prescribed by a vet for arthritis. They even make a flavored dog version. But it's not what you want to use as pain relief for wounds. It is a blood thinner and can increase bleeding.

Quote:
Buffered aspirin is fine for dogs as prescribed by a vet for arthritis. They even make a flavored dog version. But it's not what you want to use as pain relief for wounds. It is a blood thinner and can increase bleeding.

That makes sense. Thanks for the information.

Just thought I would update and another question, I gave her the tramadol around 6:30, prior to that she did eat about half her normal amount of dog food. I tried to get her to stand to try and go outside and potty but because the same back and front leg is injured she has trouble but can stand with a little help.
My concern though in all the reading I am doing online is shock, would she have ate if shock was setting in? Also she won't raise up or anything but when I approach her and she hears me talking she starts wagging her tail.
I checked her pulse and it was at 135 and her respiration per minute was around 30. I have been giving her 50 cc of the electrolytes every hour via syringe.
I may be just overly worried about her but she is my baby and has been with me for 4 years.

The thermometer I had will not work, I have her on a comforter covered up with a blanket and towel and she does not feel cold or too hot.
I tried checking the gums but she is part chow so her gums are naturally not pink.
I will probably be up most of the night with her,praying that she will be ok, I just don't want to lose her.
We will be headed out at 7 in the AM for the vet.

fl.gif

Another good disinfectant is Dahkin's solution, we used it at the vet I worked at.

It's 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Wonderful cleaner and doesn't burn...I know from experience as I used it on myself after my rooster thought it necessary to spur the back of my leg.
roll.png

the tramadol could be making her queasy as well, that would make her want to eat less. Also, when you hurt, sometimes you just don't want to eat as much. When in shock, they usually won't want to eat at all. Dull and listless, no interest in anything.

Will she let you feel it? More than likely it's just a bad bad sprain, though a cracked bone is possible. Let us know what the vet says this AM

Quote:
You can also check capillary refill by looking at the inside of the eyelid. Of course, you don't poke like you do with gums, but they should be nice and pink.

Back
Top Bottom