Advice on stopping a broody hen

Lenflo

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
Hello all

We've had 2 chickens since last year and this is my first time dealing with a worrying situation so please forgive my ignorance.

We have an 8 month old Buff Orpington. She has been broody for about 2 days now. As this is my first time experiencing a broody hen I have been unsure on what to do.

Once I realised this morning she was broody (she was sitting on 3 eggs but we don't have cockerel) I removed her from the nesting box. I closed the coop this morning so neither of our chickens could get back in (which meant the non-broody didn't lay). I opened the door not long ago and the broody one shot back upstairs to the nesting box. I took her out and blocked the entrance to the box.

Now here is my problem. The other hen who isn't broody uses that box to lay and now I am worried she won't lay and then get ill etc so I suppose I will have to open that box up tomorrow? Then the broody one will shoot back up there?

I did read online that the best way to break a broody hen is to isolate them in a small dog cage with some food and water and that is isn't nest friendly..the problem is I don't have access to a cage at the moment and with the Covid-19 lockdown there are no shops I can get to at the moment (UK).

Please may someone advise me on what to do next? I am really worried.

Thank you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom