Advice on weak duckling legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrazyQuackers, Apr 27, 2017.

1. CrazyQuackers

CrazyQuackers New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    SW Desert, USA
    Hello, I am a new member & new to raising ducklings. My ducklings are 3 weeks old today & have been growing well however 1,Duckie, seems to have a weak/pigeon toed leg.

Sunday was the first day I was able to start providing a poultry vitamin & electrolyte water soluble solution that contains niacin. I'm concerned that with the mess the ducklings make of their water, what if Duckie isn't getting enough niacin to help her legs?

After letting them swim/bathe I dry them off with a blow dryer, but it takes me longer because I like to sit and hold Duckie so she has some stability while she is preening (it breaks my heart watching her trip & fall over). Are there any sort of exercises I can do to help her straighten & strengthen her leg without hurting her?

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Hi and Welcome to BYC!!!

what are you feeding your ducks? it sounds like a niacin deficiency

i am copying this information from another thread:

Quote:

3. CrazyQuackers

CrazyQuackers New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    SW Desert, USA
    Thank you so much!

I am feeding them chick starter grower that is 18% crumble, which is what they feed them at the feed store I purchased them from. Out of the batch my ducklings came from my 4 are bigger/healthier looking comparatively (the ducklings at the store have already been moved outside too, which surprised me).

I have been adding the vitamins supplements with niacin to their water, I'm just worried maybe that's not enough? Duckie seems slightly better today, but seems to prefer sitting.

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    chick starter is for chicks,
    you want an all-flock starter (or if you can find it a duck starter but good luck) it has more vitamins and minerals for the different species as well as more protein that ducks require

glad to hear it is doing better! it will take some time
    you could also make the food into a gruel for it, think sloppy porridge
    and yes it will make a huge mess
    lol

5. CrazyQuackers

CrazyQuackers New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    SW Desert, USA
    Well when I purchased them the people at the store said they feed their ducks the chick starter feed & do 'just fine'. The only Flock starter I can find is at Tractor supply which says it has 20% protein. I've read that that is too much protein for young ducklings, is that true?

The only other thing I can find is a Flock block, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be until they are older?

6. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    the 20% is perfect for them
    i would use that and still add some brewers yeast/niacin

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by