ADVICE, PLEASE?? * Chook Under The Weather

d.k

red-headed stepchild
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast Coast of Florida
* Hey, guys- Miss Chook is running a fever again. Viral bug, I assume. Eating little, digestion slow, poo normal, if a little dry-- cooked from the fever. Giving her Activia, aspirin, PVS, and green tea extract, making sure she drinks. Don't know that antibiotics would help. What do you think?? She's pretty darn tempy, still. Thanks! (Last Ed: title/bump)

Last edited:
* Update: Temp down somewhat with aspirin/tea laced fluid push. One VERY green and sticky stool this afternoon (Activia related??). LOTS of sleeping. Ate maybe half of her normal dinner. Respiration may have been a touch stuffy last night (I thought it was very slight snoring and it quit when she moved a little.). She does have a fan on her at night as it is so stinking hot here.
hmm.png

dk, not sure antibiotics would help if its viral. Usually, Tylan is recommended for respiratory illnesses. At least it would maybe keep secondary infections out while she fights the virus. Hope she's better soon.

* Thanks, Cyn-- Yeah, I hope she gets better soon, too!! Even DH was alarmed at how hot she felt and he doesn't usually pay much attention. I wondered if she caught something from me or a gf who visited last week. Being a single chicken, it's not like she has flock mates to pass stuff around.

You can add some aspirin to her water. I can't remember how much, it's a couple of regular 325 mg aspirins dissolved in a gallon waterer? Probably, I'd dissolve one of those in a quart waterer, but I'd have to check that out and get back with you. That might help with pain and fever anyway.

I found this in one of my bookmarked sites:

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.​

Last edited:
* Thanks, Sammi. No Tylan until Monday unfortunately-- even if I drove to Miami for it. However, could you remind me of the dose and whether that's orally, IM, or SubQ?? I have only injected rabbits and cats, and even that was 2O years ago. Wee bit nervous about shooting a chicken wrong, you know??
hmm.png

* Update: She was eating, standing, walking and "talking" again today. Still feels kinda warm, and poo is a bit dry and light in quantity, but it's hard to tell today (given the heat) whether it's that is due to any residual fever. Guess I need a poultry themometer!!!

Back
Top Bottom