Advice Please! Injured chick!!

rrand5

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016

This is my 2 week old EE chick. He was safe in the brooder with 9 other chicks so I have no idea what happend. There is no blood or feathers anywhere. So upset.

I have moved him out of the brooder. Sprayed the wound with antiseptic spray, sprinkled corn starch on it, and given him some molasses water with a dropper. He has access to clean food and water and seems fine otherwise. I also checked his vent and it is fine.

If anyone has any advice on how to care for him or even what his chances of survival are I would really appreciate it.

Looks like a bit of picking turned vicious -- separating him was the right move as once there is the slightest wound it invites more attacks. Chickens and chicks are very resilient -- provide him with good supportive care (warmth, nutrition, hydration) and monitor for infection and you'll be amazed at how quickly he heals up.

Thank you both so much! That is so good to hear! I thought he was a goner. First time raising chicks and I didn't expect so much drama so early on! He is very pretty, my daughter's favorite. She was heartbroken when she got home from school today.

He is doing really good. Definitely not enjoying being alone. I put him in with the others for a supervised visit today, thinking maybe they wouldn't notice, but they did and I had to quickly grab him out again. Won't be trying that again until he is 100% healed. Looks like the feathers took the worst of it. Will they ever grow back properly?

They probably will eventually, though it may take a while. I have some chicks who got most of their wing feathers pulled out and they all grew back within a week or two. Glad to hear he's doing well!

Back
Top Bottom