Advice please. My Chick is Hurt. Slight Slash on Troat.

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
My baby chick has a slash straight down the troat. Thank good it didn't fully puncture through the flesh and she didn't bleed that much. Is she OK? Should I isolate her? There is a bit of yellow in the back. How did she get the wound? My older chickens don't like the new babies but it is a clean perfect slash in the middle of her troat. Please help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RqhYNI9EIJ1fkmKFNc5I9jo4fP56asVR/view?usp=drivesdk

Ok.. well then if it were me id clean the wound with iodine and put some antibacterial ointment on it. Also watch it for flies. What side of the throat?

Can you post a pic?
chick.JPG

Found out how to send

Do you have the young chicks in a brooder? They need to be separated from the older ones, in a brooder with a heat source. Chicks will be killed if they are left with older chickens. Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn wound spray is good for disinfecting wounds, then put a small amount of plain antibiotic ointment twice a day.

Do you have the young chicks in a brooder? They need to be separated from the older ones, in a brooder with a heat source. Chicks will be killed if they are left with older chickens. Chlorhexidene or Vetericyn wound spray is good for disinfecting wounds, then put a small amount of plain antibiotic ointment twice a day.
They are over 3 months old so they don't need a brooder they have been safely away from the other chickens for over two weeks and have been able to see them. For a week they have been in the same area with nothing in between them and they distance them self from each other with an occasional peck from the older chickens, I do not think that the older chickens made this wound. I have been applying animal friendly disinfectant to the wound.

Back
Top Bottom