Advice please - New chick, 1.5 days old, sleepy, raising head back, yawning

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop
I literally just got them into the brooder 1/2 hour ago. I have sav-a-chick electrolytes and probiotic in the waterer. I have one chick who stays under the ecoglow (the others are playing and active).
She is listless, stays still and closes eyes, yawning motion as she raises her head back. I gave her a drop of Nutri-drench and have made her drink at the waterer. She is weak, while the others are active.
I am boiling an egg to try mashed egg yolk. Other advice?

Thanks,
jonalisa

You are doing everything well, and I would dip her beak several times an hour all day, and liquids are most important. Sprinkle some feed on the floor of the brooder on clean paper towel so they will walk around and peck it. I hope your weak chick gets better, but some don't when they start showing stress. I have used the Ecoglow, and really like it, but it makes it hard to see a sick chick.

It won't eat the egg yolk. I gave it a bit of the sav-a-chick water with a syringe.
It is staying under the ecoglow with one other chick. This other chick seems ok.

I feel like time is of the essence. She didn't respond to the Nutri-rench. Please, anyone?

You are doing everything well, and I would dip her beak several times an hour all day, and liquids are most important. Sprinkle some feed on the floor of the brooder on clean paper towel so they will walk around and peck it. I hope your weak chick gets better, but some don't when they start showing stress. I have used the Ecoglow, and really like it, but it makes it hard to see a sick chick.
Well, I'm embarassed to say, but, my brooder is so big that I can actually sit in it with them. LOL, sounds crazy but it makes it easier to see them under the ecoglow.
Thanks for the support, I will keep at it.

Thanks for the help. After a tense day of touch and go, my chick is full of piss and vinegar today... trying to stuff herself inside the holes of the feed trough and running along the top of it while others are eating.
For others in this situation, I do believe the dual waterers of Nutri-drench and the Sav-a-chick (electrolytes and probiotic together) helped her along. As Eggcessive suggested, I made sure she drank hourly and by nighttime she was much improved.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom