Advice Please

Dahlia2

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Hi,

Very new to chicken keeping. One chicken so far (the other unfortunately was a casualty, due to a neighbours dog in our yard - of all things!!).

anyone, our one chicken - i noticed her beak seemed different the other day, she had a whitish discharge from the nostril (also slight tinge of blood on other nostril). Today I noticed that her beak (at the top near the nostrils) is looking darker and dirtier (feeling like it's dried snot or something, but maybe I'm just used to kids).

She is perfectly fine otherwise, laying well, behaving as usual, energy, eating, etc. Not sure if this is connected, but I have noticed recently that her eggs - the white part looks a yellowish colour and is quite thick & globby, not runny as you usually get in commercial eggs. Is that anything?

I'm not sure if I should take her to a vet, or just leave her and see how she gets on? Read all the common chicken illnesses, but not sure she really fits any of them, kinda clueless at the moment. Any advice?

Thanks
D.

the drop of blood on the nostril and mucus could very well be a sign of a common illness called laryngotrachetits. its upper respiratory. most birds recover within two weeks according to my health book. survivors are carriers. runs through the whole flock in 6 weeks. symptoms include bloody mucus; watery eyes; swollen sinus; nasal discharge; gurgling; rattling; whistling.drop in egg production. if she doesn't fit those symptoms I'd still say she does have something respiratory going on. nasal discharge especially with a drop of blood is NOT normal. separate her from flock. you can try treating with tylosin or TYLAN 50. tylan is a excellent choice for respiratory issues. dose large birds at 1/2 cc small birds at 1/4 cc once daily for 5 days. this should help her symptoms. remembering she could still be a carrier once her symptoms are gone. I'd dose with the tylan and this should help her symptoms. if you leave it alone likely it will worsen. if she were mine I'd treat with the tylan. I hope this is helpful to you. I wish you good luck. if you don't want to treat yourself; I'd say yes take her to vet. the nasal discharge is not normal.

Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know how I get on. I only noticed it yesterday. As she was displaying no outwards signs of sickness, I wasn't sure if i should worry or not, so thanks for the advice. I think her beak looks worse again today, but again otherwise acting normally.

Back
Top Bottom