Advice please!

raisinemright

Songster
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Hello all, I have 1 Khaki drake and two khaki hens, and also 1 Muscovy drake and two Muscovy hens. My Khaki drake has been mounting the Muscovy hens and is very rough with them. He has been pulling at their head feathers and its gotten so bad they are now bald from the top of their head down to their necks. Is their a a solution to this or am I going to have to go with my first instinct and that was to cull him out of the flock. I am not going to have my Muscovy's looking so pitiful! And how long should it take for them to feather back out? Thanks for any advice

Hello all, I have 1 Khaki drake and two khaki hens, and also 1 Muscovy drake and two Muscovy hens. My Khaki drake has been mounting the Muscovy hens and is very rough with them. He has been pulling at their head feathers and its gotten so bad they are now bald from the top of their head down to their necks. Is their a a solution to this or am I going to have to go with my first instinct and that was to cull him out of the flock. I am not going to have my Muscovy's looking so pitiful! And how long should it take for them to feather back out? Thanks for any advice
Drakes are rough period on ducks during mating but I can very much understand you being upset some do seem to be alot worse than others when it comes to mating. you could try separating into 2 separate groups the Scovy's and the khaki group Does your Muscovy drake not mind when the Khaki drake is mating with his ladies? boy mine would. As far as growing their feathers back not sure if they would grow right back after abuse stops or if it would have to be after molt.

Drakes are rough period on ducks during mating but I can very much understand you being upset some do seem to be alot worse than others when it comes to mating. you could try separating into 2 separate groups the Scovy's and the khaki group Does your Muscovy drake not mind when the Khaki drake is mating with his ladies? boy mine would. As far as growing their feathers back not sure if they would grow right back after abuse stops or if it would have to be after molt.

My Scovy doesnt seem to mind at all during the process. I think culling the khaki will be my only option. my poor hens look horrible my kids were going to show them in 4H but I dont believe they will be back to normal before July. So sad looking!

My Scovy doesnt seem to mind at all during the process. I think culling the khaki will be my only option. my poor hens look horrible my kids were going to show them in 4H but I dont believe they will be back to normal before July. So sad looking!
If you stop the abuse now they maybe okay to show in July. I have a few Scovys that are beginning to show wear also I'm watching closely.

Back
Top Bottom