Advice - when to give up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoriAS, Apr 10, 2009.

1. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    This is the end of day 23. I have had a few issues during the hatch (see: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=158902 ).

What I want to know is when to give up on the remaining unhatched eggs?

None of the last 3 are even pipped. I have others that are due to hatch in a few days and want to get these out if possible.

What do you think?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I usually leave mine untill day 23, 24 at the longest.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    some people leave them till day 25 or 26 , its kinda a personal preffrence it seems, I would give them till tammrow morning then candle them for movement if you dont see any you could make a small hole in the top where the aircell is and see if they are still alive .

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    If they stink pull them, if not leave them a few more days, it will not hurt anything. Everyone believes that all eggs hatch after 21 days, from my experience, not true. My first hatch, I killed quit a few thinking that. I have had them take up to 25 days to hatch. My advice, put the eggs on the wire and just turn them about 3x's a day. Keep your temp around 100*, I do not understand what the newspaper was for. It seems to me you tried to much and to hard.

1. set incubator around 100*
    2. put eggs in incubator on wire rack.
    3. turn 3x's a day
    4. keep water full
    5. candle between day 7 and 10
    6. remove any unfertile eggs
    7. candle again around day 18
    8. if you do not see movement smell check - if it does not stink put it back in.
    9. wait for hatch

Nothing fancy or hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by