Advise Needed-- Thinking of getting some Ring Neck Phesants

GBrown87

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Darke county, Ohio
First off I want to say I love this site and found lots of amazing information before I got my first chicken. Last year I got a few turkeys to raise. This year I'd like to try pheasants. I currently free range everything I have now. Chickens, Guineas, Ducks, and Turkeys, they all free range very well. So far I have found that pheasants don't free range very well but I would like to try. If they don't come back then I guess I'm just contributing to the wildlife. I live near a wildlife area where they release some every year I believe. I would possibly try releasing them eventually anyhow.

I guess first off does anyone see any issues with this?

I read a lengthy post on here from someone trying to tame them for free range and returning at night, however it was in 2012 I think. Does anyone know if they were successful? I may try to find the post ask on there.

Any other pointers for raising/keeping pheasants?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy, and WELCOME TO BYC! If your raising them to release, you'll need a big grow out pen(size depends on how many you raise) also, you will need to check with your State Game Department about rules and permitting. I've found that when I released some of my ring-necked pheasants, the predators really appreciated the free and easy meal. They stayed around a week or two but then disappeared. If you try it, I wish you good luck.

Back
Top Bottom