Advise Needed-- Thinking of getting some Ring Neck Phesants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by GBrown87, Mar 4, 2017.

1. GBrown87

GBrown87 New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    Darke county, Ohio
    First off I want to say I love this site and found lots of amazing information before I got my first chicken. Last year I got a few turkeys to raise. This year I'd like to try pheasants. I currently free range everything I have now. Chickens, Guineas, Ducks, and Turkeys, they all free range very well. So far I have found that pheasants don't free range very well but I would like to try. If they don't come back then I guess I'm just contributing to the wildlife. I live near a wildlife area where they release some every year I believe. I would possibly try releasing them eventually anyhow.

I guess first off does anyone see any issues with this?

I read a lengthy post on here from someone trying to tame them for free range and returning at night, however it was in 2012 I think. Does anyone know if they were successful? I may try to find the post ask on there.

Any other pointers for raising/keeping pheasants?

Thanks in advance!

2. 007Sean

007Sean Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy, and WELCOME TO BYC! If your raising them to release, you'll need a big grow out pen(size depends on how many you raise) also, you will need to check with your State Game Department about rules and permitting. I've found that when I released some of my ring-necked pheasants, the predators really appreciated the free and easy meal. They stayed around a week or two but then disappeared. If you try it, I wish you good luck.

3. GBrown87

GBrown87 New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    Darke county, Ohio
    Thanks. Sounds like a good place to start. Ill get ahold of the game wardens office and see what they say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by