Afraid of the dark...!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick - n - Rachel, May 1, 2009.

1. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    Hi there fellow chicken lovers!!
    My girls are in the garage in a 6' x 6' temp house and are doing wonderfully. Last night however, after dark we had to go into there, had to turn on the light and it disturbed them a bit. They calmed down quickly ( with my coo's and love, youd laugh if you herd me!!!) but when I turned the light off they were obviously distressed. I put on the red heater lamp to give them light (away from them a bit as its warm enough here in FL) and they were happy with that. My question is, when I put them out in their coop in the next few weeks, should I put in a small night light or some thing. It realy was quite pitifull to hear. Any sudgestions welcome please - thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    MHO, turn the light out. Yes they'll try to convince you that their little world is coming to an end for a few days, but they'll get over it. Just watch for pile ups caused by their fear and then harden your heart.

3. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    When I 1st got my babies (they're 8 and 9 weeks old now), I had read that you should turn off their brooder light for 25 mins. each day, increasing it by about 5 mins. so that when you do move them to the coop, they don't freak. Worked for mine; however, the 1st night they werein the coop, they complained a bit. I now only turn the light on 30 mins. prior to sundown so they know to come back into the coop from the run. It's on for about an hour, cuz they like to have treats in their coop before settling down for the night. Works like a charm. Gail

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Aren't those babies dramatic? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine squawk and run the fenceline of their run if it's starting to get dark and I haven't turned the light on. Drama queens!! LOL

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I also turn my light on just before dark. If i don't they won't get on the roost once it's dark. Been told they can't see well in the dark so i'm assuming they don't want to fly up to the roost half blind. Just after dark i go out and turn the light off. Yes they are spoiled but i don't mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by