African Geese

cmbeall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
North Carolina
Hello,

We are trying to get some geese to put in our individual groupings of ducks. I am looking at some African Geese. I had not really cared the breed of goose we obtained but I am seeing the benefit to at least have two of the same breed per pen so we can benefit from the sale of the goslings. I am picking up two African Geese in the next few days. One is picture perfect from the pictures I have of them. The other one has the plummage, seems to be getting a dewlap the only thing is he is a Brown African Goose but his bill is orange. I know the orange bill is standard for the white African but from everything I have been able to find I have found nothing that indicates the Brown African is even able to throw an orange bill.

I will get the geese no matter what because no matter what they are they are striking animals. Just curious before I allow them to breed. Oh which brings another question. We have been told in ducks one way to sex them (although not foolproof) is the tail feathers flip up and their "honks" are a bit different than the females. Plus they tend to talk less. Is this true of geese as well? Or were we being led down a garden path when we were told that about ducks LOL

So much too learn...it's exciting.

thanks in advance
cathy

Hi there

The Brown Africans should have a dark beak and it is a fault here in the UK. It is particulary difficult to get Buffs with dark beaks as the orange colour is quite common, again a fault really. Of course in the White Africans the beak is orange. Sometimes the bulbous area above the beak can be frost bitten and if that happens then the orange colour does show but this is due to tissue damage only.

Im sure you'll be pleased when you get them though but do select for darker beaks if you decide to breed them. Having a Dewlap is a good sign but not too big and more crescent shaped. They are a lovely breed and we find our quite placid
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Thanks so much for the information. I intend to breed for the breed standards in all of our purebred stock. I will also have a flock for laying. It will be inter bred. Right now we have Pekins, Rouens and Blue Swedish Ducks. These African Geese will be our first geese. I have a lead on some more but these guys will be the first. I wanted to make sure about the orange bill before I allowed that goose to breed.

Thanks again....Cathy

Here's a picture of our Buff (Super) Africans that show the dark beak and cresent shaped dewlap. In the UK they're just called Africans but they should be big birds. A lovely breed and we're very pleased with ours
big_smile.png

I'm sure you will be too and best of luck
smile.png

80310_18072011032.jpg

Pete
wink.png

Hey

Thanks for the pics. They are beautiful birds.

I was going to put a pic in here of the two we are going to get but I can't figure out how to insert it.

Thanks for sharing the pics
cathy

Hi. There's more pictures and goose information on our website. http://oakgarthgeese. com For inserting pictures go to the blue toolbar and press UPLOAD. You then upload your pics and copy and paste the URL into the body of the text in your post. Pete
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom