African or Super African? ID help?

Do these super Africans seem a lot bigger than regular Africans? And is there anything else different? Do they eat significantly more?

Keep in mind, I am coming from an exhibition poultry background. The Super Africans as many call them are in actuality the original African and the ones that are smaller with little to no dewlap are production bred birds so in terms of poultry exhibition there is no such thing as Super Africans they are just called Africans. The birds that you have are actually production bred Africans and not the show bred birds that are marketed as Super Africans

Keep in mind, I am coming from an exhibition poultry background. The Super Africans as many call them are in actuality the original African and the ones that are smaller with little to no dewlap are production bred birds so in terms of poultry exhibition there is no such thing as Super Africans they are just called Africans. The birds that you have are actually production bred Africans and not the show bred birds that are marketed as Super Africans
Thank you for replying. I know that the first batch I was sent (incorrectly) were production Africans but you are saying the new pair are as well?

Agree with other poster there is no such thing as a super african. Africans are heavier, with black knobs, dewlap, and a calm disposition. How deep the keel or large the dewlap depends on level of show quality (much like not all aussie shepherds will win a blue ribbon per akc standard). Breeders strive to manipulate their stock to develop size and dewlaps as quick as possible, but many so called "hatchery africans" will look no different than what people call "super africans" when they are 6-8 years old. If you were looking for winning show quality, then Metzers, as a large commercial hatchery, is not the place to purchase them.

On the other hand, show quality africans are not as hardy or productive (shorter laying season, less eggs, less broody instincts), so the africans that have some chinese blood mixed in will have less health/physical issues and will also boost production.

If your birds have nice personalities and you enjoy them, then that is all that matters! But for what it is worth, the bird in the back of the picture looks like nicely developing for a 1yo, and I bet in a few years the one in the front will also look better developed.

Agree with other poster there is no such thing as a super african. Africans are heavier, with black knobs, dewlap, and a calm disposition. How deep the keel or large the dewlap depends on level of show quality (much like not all aussie shepherds will win a blue ribbon per akc standard). Breeders strive to manipulate their stock to develop size and dewlaps as quick as possible, but many so called "hatchery africans" will look no different than what people call "super africans" when they are 6-8 years old. If you were looking for winning show quality, then Metzers, as a large commercial hatchery, is not the place to purchase them.

On the other hand, show quality africans are not as hardy or productive (shorter laying season, less eggs, less broody instincts), so the africans that have some chinese blood mixed in will have less health/physical issues and will also boost production.

If your birds have nice personalities and you enjoy them, then that is all that matters! But for what it is worth, the bird in the back of the picture looks like nicely developing for a 1yo, and I bet in a few years the one in the front will also look better developed.

Thank you for the advice. I know there's no such thing as a super African really but have read that the term "super african" exists to differentiate pure African geese ("super African") from those mixed with Chinese genes ("african"). is this how you would understand it?

I really don't care if they're show quality or not. They're not going to be shown. When I wanted was a purebred flock of heavy birds with big dewlaps and deep keels waddling around the yard. And having been sent the wrong birds the first time around wanted to check in with some more experienced geese owners about the development of these two.

I should have just stuck with a less confusing breed. I really do love American Buffs too. Probably I should just order more geese. My husband wouldn't notice extra birds for a couple of months anyway. :lau

Back
Top Bottom