After Losing Four Birds Caught This Guy

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
Over the course of two weeks lost four birds during the day. F & G sent out a trapper. The bait was a banty roo in a separate cage, bizarre.

But it worked and this grey fox is no more. My girls run free again! (Well, for now...)
079-2.jpg

Well it's a shame you lost those chickens, and I would have done the same thing you did. (I shouldn't say this, but it was a cute little fox though.....) You've gotta do what's best for your livestock though, no doubt about it.

I'd even be afraid for my little dog, Gigi. A fox could take her easily.....Don't blame you one bit!

Sorry you lost your chickens and can understand your being upset. But as an animal lover I wonder couldn't you have just released the little fox in another area, far from you in a wooded area?

Sorry you lost your chickens and can understand your being upset. But as an animal lover I wonder couldn't you have just released the little fox in another area, far from you in a wooded area?
I live in that area, that wooded area. And I assure you that anyone who lives in that area would not want you to release a fox there.

No, the standard procedure for catching anything that isn't endangered is to kill it. I know, it seems so harsh. But there it is.

Awwww what a cutie he was. Shame they gotta start killing our birds leaving us little choice.There are so many rabbits and squirrels,but I know our hens are easy pickings.

Skinning it?

Last edited:
a fox killed one of my birds to, would of gotten all of them if it was not for my dog, Kaylee

You are "lucky" he only got four. I had one visit last week and he got 14 birds in the very short space of time between when I had gone out to check on them and when I returned with a bucket of kitchen scraps. He returned the next afternoon and got two more. And then I got him. I admit I am completely nonplussed by those who find them "cute". Where I grew up they are vermin and will remain so forever to me. Once you have cleaned up from the devastation of a fox attack, they will never again look "cute".

Relocating to a different area is only passing the problem onto someone else.

Did not skin it; the trapper took the body away. He was cute (the fox, not the trapper)...until he snarled and scared me to pieces!

Fourteen birds in one go? I did not realize they killed so indiscriminately. Clearly the fox isn't eating 14 birds at once.

This one was picking off one of my birds every few days. He must have thought I'd set up a restaurant for him.

Back
Top Bottom