After molt personality change

carrottoes

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Spokane Valley, WA
I have four hens, all born March 2012. They have had a consistent pecking order until the last 2 weeks. The top hen, after molting, has started making "baby" noises, high pitched repetitive calls, and all three of the other hens keep chasing her away from them. They all jump on her and peck her, though she is still allowed in the coop at night.

What happened? My previously super peaceful hen flock is in upheaval.

Any advice/suggestion?

Thanks

Hierarchical animals will always seize any opportunity to be higher on the pecking order. When at the bottom of the pecking order, they have to wait for others to eat and drink before they can do so.
When molting, a bird feels like crap, kind of like having the flu. They are prime to be toppled from their 'perch'.

Don't expect animals to have the same values, thought processes or sensibilities as humans.

I didn't specify enough about the situation. The birds are all finished molting. Three of the four have resumed laying, and now, the "personality" change is happening.

I didn't specify enough about the situation. The birds are all finished molting. Three of the four have resumed laying, and now, the "personality" change is happening.
I'm wondering the same thing. This was my girls first moult and they are not the same as they were before. Before molting they lived being held, they would "ask" to be picked up. Now they run. I've started just sitting with them, to show them its me and it's safe. I'm wondering if it's something I just need to wait out, or am I missing a sign of something?

Back
Top Bottom