After treatment for bumblefoot surgery? Feet are still swollen!

No need to apologize, this is a busy time of year for many people. (Myself included!)

Good to hear that you removed one plug. As for the other, you should continue poking at it until it is removed: I second what seminolewind said concerning an Epsom soak; plain warm (not hot!) water has worked well in my experience, too. None of my birds' legs have ever swollen during an infection, but an Epsom soak should bring the swelling down. I would think that applying the Magna paste to the legs and wrapping it would have the same affect - a nice alternative if, like in my case, it is too cold to soak your birds' legs in water.

As for the redness...it is normal for light-skinned birds to have a slight reddish tint to their legs. In other cases, if she has access to an outdoor run, mud can often dry out a bird's legs/feet and cause a red rash to form. Covering it with a thin layer of petroleum jelly or Bag Balm will help.

Silvey17, that is an excellent article you posted, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Yes, do another surgery. You didn't get all of the diseased tissue on the swollen foot, obviously. You need to do more than squeeze out the plug. Get every single bit of diseased matter, even if it bleeds. Anything you can't scoop out with a Q-tip, cut out with cuticle scissors or a fine knife. If the foot is as swollen and red as you say, you may need to treat her with a round of antibiotics.

Hello! I think our hen might have gout. Mello! She had to go through two surgeries! No wonder her feet aren't getting better. The infection is hard, not soft. Thank you all for the advice!

Please, I really need help to treat this bumblefoot. He had a surgery and remove two plug but his feet still swelling.
By looking at the pictures do you think I need to do the second surgery?

Digg - is your roo on antibiotics? If not, I think that might be a good idea, looking at that swelling. it doesn't look like you got all the diseased tissue. You need to go back in and carve out all of the black tissue, so all that's left is pink, moist tissue. Are you treating his feet with triple antibiotic ointment and Vetericyn? You need to do that, if your already aren't. Until his wounds close, his feet need to be bandaged, also.

Back
Top Bottom