Aftermath of Racoon Attack

PeaPod117

Chirping
Apr 14, 2019
United States
I woke up this morning, and usually I have a “ritual” of waving to my flock from the bathroom window upstairs, and usually they’d honk and start getting restless. Today, I noticed little movement in the coop. There were my two Pekins, but they weren’t giving me their usual side eye. I saw brown down the front of the drake, but saw it was tinged with red. I saw one of the chickens on the ground with it’s feet up, and knew something was wrong. But when I went out, it was absolute carnage. All of my flock, dead. The head of one of my rare ducks was under a piece of wood, her body no where to be found. One of my roosters somehow escaped to the enclosed area of the coop, but was dead in a dramatic pose that showed me his suffering and defeat. One of the hens was still alive, having sustained an injury to her wing. But I think her mentality is what’s messed up the most. The drake has a gaping wound on his throat, and he seems ok, he drinks water and eats, but sometimes he gasps. The female pekin is pretty unharmed, save a few scratches on her face. I think the drake protected her. Right now, they’re in my bathroom, the ducks in my bathtub and my hen in a cardboard box with a heating pad under it. She seems exhausted and sickly. The female pekin seems dead inside, as she has not honked once and she makes little effort to eat.

Just wondering what to do from here on out? Unsure of their survival rates right now, I feel like any of them could drop dead, whether it be from injury or stress. I think the attack was still in progress when I got home late last night, because I didn’t hear the little wood duck honk like she usually does, so I think our car pulling up scared the raccoon away, taking my other ducks body with it.

So sorry this has happened to your flock:hugsI'm no expert but I would keep them all quiet and hydrated. Then I would just keep a close watch and work each problem as it comes. Be careful not to get the hen to hot,it's in the 90s here,is it cold where you are?Good luck and speedy recovery for your flock.

So sorry this has happened to your flock:hugsI'm no expert but I would keep them all quiet and hydrated. Then I would just keep a close watch and work each problem as it comes. Be careful not to get the hen to hot,it's in the 90s here,is it cold where you are?Good luck and speedy recovery for your flock.
We had to put our two Pekins down, they had flystrike :( As for our hen, she doesn’t move u less it’s to turn a different way or sit down, and she doesn’t eat unless I “peck” my finger into her food bowl. I have a hard time forcing her to drink. I’ll dip her beak in the water and occasionally she’ll drink but she’s very stubborn about it and sometimes knocks down the water bowl.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my flock was tormented last night two of my favorite girls half-eaten and one badly injured her whole head is opened like she has been scalped but it still alive. I tried to clean it but she screams what do I do. she just sits there breathing is heavy I don't know if she's gonna make it I had to take her out because the other hens are pecking at her. the raccoon opened the coop door and its a bloody mess in there should I spray her with blu coat. I called the vet they don't take chickens they said to cull her. help, please!

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my flock was tormented last night two of my favorite girls half-eaten and one badly injured her whole head is opened like she has been scalped but it still alive. I tried to clean it but she screams what do I do. she just sits there breathing is heavy I don't know if she's gonna make it I had to take her out because the other hens are pecking at her. the raccoon opened the coop door and its a bloody mess in there should I spray her with blu coat. I called the vet they don't take chickens they said to cull her. help, please!
It would be best to start a new thread of your own, so that we don’t get the two flocks mixed up here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

For now, use Vetericyn or saline to clean the wound. Chlorhexidene (hibiclens) and water or betadine are very good to use on deep wounds around the head, but avoid BluKote until the wound is scabbed. It is more for minor cuts and scrapes. Get some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment to apply to the wounds after cleaning them twice a day. Offer water, electrolytes for a day or two, chicken feed with some water added, cooked egg, and keep her separated until she heals some. Make sure nothing can get into the coop again.

We had to put our two Pekins down, they had flystrike :( As for our hen, she doesn’t move u less it’s to turn a different way or sit down, and she doesn’t eat unless I “peck” my finger into her food bowl. I have a hard time forcing her to drink. I’ll dip her beak in the water and occasionally she’ll drink but she’s very stubborn about it and sometimes knocks down the water bowl.
So sorry. I would keep going with the hen if I felt she has a chance. Only you can know because you are with her and know her. Best of luck.

I didn't see this thread until today (Friday), I just wanted to say how sorry I am this happened, and I wish you all the best going forward. :hugs to you and your flock.

Sorry for your losses , but for that much carnage including ducks would be more suspect of multiple either fox or bigger cats abandoned dogs. A huge coon could barely deal with a 2 year old full size hen let alone take the whole flock down no way it would go after the bigger ducks too and would have woke the dead trying. They will most likely be back as there were some left I'd be waiting with a gun.
@azygous
@dawg53
will need to see pictures of your coop to give you suggestions on predator proofing

Back
Top Bottom