Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
It was 87 degrees today and with only summer ahead, I decided to remove the heating pads. Took the brooder out, too. I only left the two pad supports as huddle boxes, in case we get the occasional chilly night. The coop looks so much more spacious now!
7BEE3369-A264-480C-96E8-20660FEB6D35.jpeg

The chicks went up on the roosts for the night again today. I’m happy that they took to it so quickly and on their own. Maybe because I had baby roosts in the brooder with them since they hatched, and they started climbing at just a couple days old.

6D155CDC-110D-4D45-87FC-D486065ED82C.jpeg

It was 87 degrees today and with only summer ahead, I decided to remove the heating pads. Took the brooder out, too. I only left the two pad supports as huddle boxes, in case we get the occasional chilly night. The coop looks so much more spacious now!
View attachment 2163505

The chicks went up on the roosts for the night again today. I’m happy that they took to it so quickly and on their own. Maybe because I had baby roosts in the brooder with them since they hatched, and they started climbing at just a couple days old.

View attachment 2163506
I love how happy and content they always look. They're at the right age for roosting.
Regardless of the extras in the brooder.

I go in the coop and sit down, and this is what happens :love They like napping on me.
BFB389B6-E0B7-44B7-93F5-A2B709905901.jpeg

I moved the cam so I can get a better view of the roosts. I can’t see if the auto door closed though... but I can see the chickens better.
3A2AF5DC-D151-4BBD-BF69-5D390B6C2B2E.jpeg

They all sleep on the top roost now, barely fit up there. I’m not ultimately keeping all of them so I won’t extend the top roost. When they get too big to fit, somebody is just gonna have to sleep on the lower roost until I thin down the flock. So far it’s looking like only 4 are pullets out of the 11... so that’s gonna be a lot of chicken soup... But 4 is about the final number I was aiming for, so that works out.

I go in the coop and sit down, and this is what happens :love They like napping on me.
View attachment 2171016

I moved the cam so I can get a better view of the roosts. I can’t see if the auto door closed though... but I can see the chickens better.
View attachment 2171074

They all sleep on the top roost now, barely fit up there. I’m not ultimately keeping all of them so I won’t extend the top roost. When they get too big to fit, somebody is just gonna have to sleep on the lower roost until I thin down the flock. So far it’s looking like only 4 are pullets out of the 11... so that’s gonna be a lot of chicken soup... But 4 is about the final number I was aiming for, so that works out.

Such a lovely set up and happy chicks :) I've been a lurker on this thread watching your hatch unfold and following the story afterwards. I hear you on the roo ratio woes. Hatched 5 Wheaten Ameraucanas and now - at 2 weeks of age - I'm starting to second guess myself and think only one might be a pullet (but hoping that I'm wrong). Initially I had thought I might get two or three :p

One of them is CROWING!!!!!!!!!!!

How is that possible?!? I read that they begin to crow at 4-5 months old... these things are a month and a half old... Whyyyyy?!? They were in the coop so I didn’t see which one it was. Will observe today. I was really hoping they’d put a bit more meat on their bones before I start culling. It’s not a real crow yet and not very loud, so I can probably get away with it for a while, if I let them out in the late morning, but still...:(

One of them is CROWING!!!!!!!!!!!

How is that possible?!? I read that they begin to crow at 4-5 months old... these things are a month and a half old... Whyyyyy?!? They were in the coop so I didn’t see which one it was. Will observe today. I was really hoping they’d put a bit more meat on their bones before I start culling. It’s not a real crow yet and not very loud, so I can probably get away with it for a while, if I let them out in the late morning, but still...:(
They start to kinda crow at 4-6wks its like hitting puberty

Back
Top Bottom