Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
Ha!
Wonder if she stretched it out as a chick and it will forever be that large.
Hope it empties well, could be considered a pendulous crop.

Ha!
Wonder if she stretched it out as a chick and it will forever be that large.
Hope it empties well, could be considered a pendulous crop.
Hmm, now I’m starting to get worried. I looked up pendulous crop and the descriptions sound more serious than what I’m observing. She seems to be growing well and acting normal. No foul smell about her, no weight loss... I’m not sure when I can catch the crop empty, as the chickens have feed available at all times and wake up before I do, so by the time I go check on them, they’ve already had breakfast... Maybe take the feed away tonight and go fondle her tomorrow morning before bringing the food back?

Her name is Zlatka and she’s one of my cuddle buddies :love

BF2BF110-EA0A-48D3-A322-CB13333021F0.jpeg

Hmm, now I’m starting to get worried. I looked up pendulous crop and the descriptions sound more serious than what I’m observing. She seems to be growing well and acting normal. No foul smell about her, no weight loss... I’m not sure when I can catch the crop empty, as the chickens have feed available at all times and wake up before I do, so by the time I go check on them, they’ve already had breakfast... Maybe take the feed away tonight and go fondle her tomorrow morning before bringing the food back?
It not always a problem, have had a few droopy girls....only one got impacted and sour.
I use a crate to isolate at night, check crop, no feed or water, then check crop and poops in the morning.

It not always a problem, have had a few droopy girls....only one got impacted and sour.
I use a crate to isolate at night, check crop, no feed or water, then check crop and poops in the morning.
If I take the food and water away altogether overnight, do I still need to crate her? I spent some time with her this morning and she pooped normal.

I suppose.
I crate mine because it's easier and doesn't effect the whole flock.
Update: I kept their food and water away until 10 in the morning (it’s cool today, in the 60s, so no risk of dehydration), then went to check on my buddy. Her crop was completely empty - wohoo! And yesterday I saw her pooping normal. Does that mean she’ll be okay?

P.S. Yesterday I checked her crop around this time as well - 10ish am - which is when I first go out to check on the chickens, and by then it was quite full and hard. So I guess she stuffs herself in the morning. But this morning it was completely empty. I’ll check her throughout the day as well, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom