Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
The 'Brylcreem Effect' :gig

Probably not rotten, gross is subjective.
I use plastic bags to do eggtopsies.
This was a stray egg found in my yard, very weird, my birds don't range.
Good thing I used the bag because it was rotten.
Was really glad the dog or the mower or my feet didn't 'find' it.
View attachment 2100333
That’s right, now I remember seeing the bag trick somewhere. Thanks. I don’t mind visual/tactile grossness or touching it with my hands, but I really don’t want the smell. So far they don’t smell yet through the safety holes, but those are very small. I’ll start out with the bags and if I need more dexterity, and there’s no smell yet, I might reach in. I’m definitely doing eggtopsies one way or another though. For science!

Good to know, thanks! That space will need to be good enough for 11 until they grow up and I can cull. The yard is plenty big and can hold even more, the coop is technically big enough for 8-9 full grown birds, but they'll only be sleeping there. I'll make sure to keep everything clean.
Yes, I took your grow outs roos into account when I said it would work fine. I guess I forgot to mention that bit though. Oops.

I'm glad that hatched chicks are so healthy for you. How did the vaccinating go? Were you able to split the vial?

Yes, I took your grow outs roos into account when I said it would work fine. I guess I forgot to mention that bit though. Oops.

I'm glad that hatched chicks are so healthy for you. How did the vaccinating go? Were you able to split the vial?
I’ll give them the vaccine tomorrow. Waiting on the incubator owner to make up her mind on whether she wants to take the rest of the vaccine for her flock. I’m not going to attempt splitting the vial. The vaccine is in powder form, and I have no precise equipment for measuring such small quantities... I don’t want to mess it up.

I just had my first pasty butt experience. It was the chick with the navel issue. I’m guessing because it spent too long in the incubator and got too hot (it was panting). I just wanted to keep it isolated from the others so they don’t peck at it. I followed the pasty butt directions and gave it a warm butt bath, cleaned it all up, then wrapped it in a towel for a while, and then fluffed it up with the blow dryer on warm. It’s back in the brooder running around looking fresh :lol:

I figured out how to clean all the poop from under the heater without lifting the whole setup up - by using an old toothbrush. Because of all the warmth, the poop is dry by the time I go to clean it, and brushes off pretty easily.

The chicks are very familiar with the feeder by now, and flock to it to eat. Hard to say how much they’re eating yet, but they’re certainly trying. When would I be able to remove the paper towels without the chicks gorging themselves on the sand? They still see some sand along the edges of the paper towels, so it won’t be completely novel to them, but I don’t trust them yet 🤔

The chick in question didn't make it :( It was malpositioned and I couldn't find the beak. There's another questionable one now, which looks like it has an internal pip, but there's no movement. There was no movement the night before and no pip, then the pip appeared, but still no movement. It's day 23 today. How much movement should there be at this point?

For ones like that I usually put in a safety hole, then wait and if I don't see more action in about 12 hours I chip away just enough of the shell around the safety hole that I can peak in and see what's going on.

For ones like that I usually put in a safety hole, then wait and if I don't see more action in about 12 hours I chip away just enough of the shell around the safety hole that I can peak in and see what's going on.
Okay, thanks. I put a safety hole in all remaining eggs the night before last night. Last night only one had progress, the one with what looks like an internal pip. I'll candle again tonight (2 full days after I put the safety hole in, 1 full day after I saw the internal pip), and if there's no progress, I'll widen the hole and look inside.

The recommendations say to give the chicks a low bar an inch off the ground for perching after the first week. I gave mine a log right from the start and they’re loving it! 1 day old chick here:
B030A763-0700-4C08-98B7-DA5CA34F4446.jpeg

Another day old chick from the late hatches has an even better idea:
9C866B2E-FAEA-41EF-A2B0-B80B0173C330.jpeg

These fuzz balls are full of life and I’m LOVING it!! Running and fluttering and jumping off of things, and the oldest are only 2 days old, with the youngest less than a day old! :love

The recommendations say to give the chicks a low bar an inch off the ground for perching after the first week. I gave mine a log right from the start and they’re loving it! 1 day old chick here:
View attachment 2101112

Another day old chick from the late hatches has an even better idea:
View attachment 2101114
These fuzz balls are full of life and I’m LOVING it!! Running and fluttering and jumping off of things, and the oldest are only 2 days old, with the youngest less than a day old! :love
the dark one in the first picture looks like he’s about to eat the little baby’s toes

Back
Top Bottom