Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

They drip/splash a bit when they drink...and that will freeze in winter.
I just stir the shavings around it, spread out the wet stuff, the let the floor dry...chickens will spread more shavings there. I have vinyl floor so no worries

Couple of my HN's were leaking at the threads last week. Luckily I was able to give them a 360° turn and they sealed back up.
I'd seen the nipples drip a little when the chickens are drinking, just in the normal course of being used, but I didn't expect to find THAT much wetness over such a large area of shavings... Especially because the chickens don't like nipples and don't use that waterer much. When they go out of the coop in the morning, they fly out and run straight for the open waterer in the run, and drink like they haven't seen water in weeks. It almost looks like they're avoiding the nipple waterer and staying thirsty until the door opens and they can run out and dunk their whole heads into the open waterer. So I'm very puzzled by all the wetness. I'll see if I can tighten the nipples any more, though that one isn't a DIY waterer, I bought it like that so they should've been installed correctly...

Very nice and clean set up!
Im due for my deep cleaning in the coops in the next few weeks. I try to get as close to snowfall as I can, but still decent outside.
Thanks! I wanted to bury the dirty bedding in the garden so it can compost, which shifts my timeline to sometime before first frost, while I can still dig before the ground starts to freeze. It was high 30s this morning, so I guess we're almost there.

So I'm very puzzled by all the wetness. I'll see if I can tighten the nipples any more, though that one isn't a DIY waterer, I bought it like that so they should've been installed correctly...
Can be hard to tell where they are leaking...and whether it's faulty seal around pin valve(happened once), or thread seal, or piece of grit stuck in pin/valve.

I dry the whole thing off, usually after the bi-annual cleaning of it between seasons, put it up on some pieces of wood(between the nipples) on top of the washer. Then add some water and watch it over time to see where the drips are coming from.

Especially because the chickens don't like nipples and don't use that waterer much. When they go out of the coop in the morning, they fly out and run straight for the open waterer in the run, and drink like they haven't seen water in weeks.
If you don't take away the open water, they will never acclimate to the nipples.

This is my water system and I have heaters for winter please excuse my poo 💩

Attachments

• 20200921_112026.jpg
    20200921_112026.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200921_112111.jpg
    20200921_112111.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 5
Can be hard to tell where they are leaking...and whether it's faulty seal around pin valve(happened once), or thread seal, or piece of grit stuck in pin/valve.

I dry the whole thing off, usually after the bi-annual cleaning of it between seasons, put it up on some pieces of wood(between the nipples) on top of the washer. Then add some water and watch it over time to see where the drips are coming from.
Thanks. I'll do some testing.

If you don't take away the open water, they will never acclimate to the nipples.
They only had nipples for the first month or two, but then it got really hot and I was afraid they weren't getting enough water with the drippy little nipple system. That's when I added the open waterer, and they would literally dunk their heads in, up to the combs, clearly enjoying the open water. I actually don't mind keeping an open waterer in the run as well, and am now considering getting a heated dog bowl for the run for winter. So the nipple waterer, especially if it's drippy and problematic, will only be a back up for just in case.

They only had nipples for the first month or two, but then it got really hot and I was afraid they weren't getting enough water with the drippy little nipple system. That's when I added the open waterer, and they would literally dunk their heads in, up to the combs, clearly enjoying the open water. I actually don't mind keeping an open waterer in the run as well, and am now considering getting a heated dog bowl for the run for winter. So the nipple waterer, especially if it's drippy and problematic, will only be a back up for just in case.
No, I don't recommend switching to nipples in extreme temps, now would be the perfect time. Find/fix the leaks and go for it.
Is your nipple waterer heated?
You don't want them dunking heads/wattles in an open waterer in the winter.

No, I don't recommend switching to nipples in extreme temps, now would be the perfect time. Find/fix the leaks and go for it.
Is your nipple waterer heated?
You don't want them dunking heads/wattles in an open waterer in the winter.
My nipple waterer is heated, yes. The original plan was to only have that one nipple waterer in the coop, the open outdoor waterer was an extra. Can I trust them to not get their heads too wet in winter? They probably won't do the extreme dunking - I think they were doing that in the worst heat, to cool off, as I haven't seen them do that recently, now that it's getting colder. But I guess they'll probably still get at least their wattles wet...

Can I trust them to not get their heads too wet in winter?
I would not.
They might not dunk their heads but wattles are sure to get dipped,
and they could also walk into it for wet feet.

Course they will likely nosh on the snow banks and get their wattles wet that way too. SMH.

Back
Top Bottom