age to start showing

Black Cochin Bantams

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Iowa
How old should a kid be before letting them show? I have a grandson almost 6 that has been wanting to show for about 2 years. He does enjoy working with the birds with me. Thinking of doing a 1 day show where we could go, show, and be home that evening. Good idea or bad? I did buy him a good pair of pretty calm Cochins.

Quote:
i thinks as long as he helpsu with the birds he is old enuf to show apa i would probly have him show his own birds or own breed the sooner u get them hooked the less likely they grow out of it

Quote:
see where i at 4h cant start till 9 so by then a lot boys are in to sports so start them young and keep the sport of showing chickens alive

They can't be in regular 4-H until they are 9 but our group has primary 4-h (from 5-9).
smile.png

Quote:
see where i at 4h cant start till 9 so by then a lot boys are in to sports so start them young and keep the sport of showing chickens alive

I have the same problem... 4H doesn't start until 9 and my 7 year old daughter has been crazy about chickens for years and has been wanting to show. I heard that they can join the APA youth at age 5 and show in youth poultry shows.

Lisa

Quote:
ive knowtice that they can get board with only being able show one bird year after year like our cloverbuds that what we call 5 to 9 there aloud one animal to show when they and show aba or arba in rabbits much younger

The younger they are the more help they need, however th eapproach I like to take is fairly simple. If they are willing and able to help care for, bath, and prep the birds then they are old enough to begin to show. We have one young man we with who is 7 and does fine but every now and then will stroke a feather the wrong direction, and does need help with coop in, and coop out at the shows. this is his first year showing but his brothers have been at it now for a few years.
I do have to help him with wiping them down and cleaning faces and legs right before he coops them in, his hands just are not quite big enough to handle the birds well and wipe them down or clean up real good, but he tries very hard which everyone present can see. Had several make comments about how hard he tried and although he had some assistance there were no complaints rather the opposite from the youth leaders and parents about him and his birds.

Back
Top Bottom