Aged eggs not pealing--full?

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
I aged my eggs for a month now and boiled them lastnight. This morning the darn things don't want to peel and are full. I mean full! There isn't much if any air cell in them. What would cause this? I've had good luck aging them for 3-4 weeks but, this batch is different.

Next time try steaming them (I havent tried that method but I hear it works great!)

Or poke a small hole in the top where the air sack is with a pin ..then lower into boiling water, turn heat off, let sit for 10 minutes, then replace hot water with cold water (I find that works great, even on freshly laid eggs
smile.png

I now keep a needle with duck tape on it just for that purpose
wink.png

The duck tape keeps the needle from poking me..

My daughter did some eggs this morning...they were fresh and peeled fairly well. I was really surprised.

She put them in cold out of the tap water...they were already room temperature. They were only a day old so they had never gone into the frig yet.

She put salt in the water.
She brought them to a boil VERY slowly.
When they came to a boil she boiled them at a very slow boil for 5 minutes.
Then turned the fire off and let them sit in the pan for 10 minutes.
Then drain, since with tap water, drain just cover with water and add ice to the water.
Let them sit in the ice water about 5 minutes and then peel very gently.

I was very surprised they peeled at all.

I've heard of those methods but, these eggs I had set aside for a month and should have been aged and not in need of them. They looked like they hadn't evaporated any of the fluid in them out--just like a fresh egg-and they should have by now.

Yes, they were in the fridge. If it keeps eggs that fresh, why doesn't it other things?
roll.png
Darn thing! I'm really puzzled as to why they didn't age like they normally do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom