aggession

SouthCoop

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
South Florida
Hi all,
I need some advise : I have 7 hens i got as day old chicks last june. Last week one picked another till face was bloody. It seemed they argued over nest box space. I placed a second nest box and all was calm for a week, as far as i know that is. This morning however, i found them both in the same nest box and could see who the aggressor is. The second nest box is only used by one hen, Wilhelmina. All the others lay in the first nest box. Question : Should i cull out the aggressor or the victim? Will the aggressor find another one to harass when the victim is gone? Or will the victim be picked at by the next aggressor in line?
Hope someone comes up with good advice. Thanks in advance.

Usually what I see recommended here is to remove the aggressor, hopefully for a few days or a week, then return her to the flock. She should return at the bottom of the pecking order, and hopefully this shakeup of the pecking order will restore peace. Whether the one who was pecked will then be left alone by the others probably depends on whether they perceive her as weak or sick.

Hi, thanks for your advice, it sounds like that would make sense.
The victim is healthy but just may be of the submissive / timid type.
I've been keeping an eye on them and no third fight so far. I guess the aggressor only gets into a fight when they both want to use the nest box at the same time. I am in the process of making new, permanent, nest boxes....three side by side with egg collecting access from outside of the coop. If a third fight happens i'll try your advice.

Back
Top Bottom