Aggression

Yigolette

Chirping
Dec 15, 2020
Micronesia
My hens seems to have some days when they’re really aggressive and others when they are very calm. They’re fed well and quite spoiled with space and sunshine, so I was surprised this morning when they came out of the coop alll...moody? One of them jumped up and tried grabbing the food container from me. Another started trying to snatch my kids doll? It was funny but I’m curious about what triggers these very aggressive mood days? They aren’t every day.
0E5F1752-8095-4F69-9DA6-DCEEF1E6B537.jpeg
DA945B76-0045-473F-BBEB-4993EF857D1F.jpeg

I think they are just curious, not aggressive. Chickens love to peck, especially at red things. However, I do see a rooster there. Roosters are naturally more bold than hens. Try looking at Methods for Dealing with Roosters

One of the dolls is red. This explains a lot. I noticed whenever we are out in the morning feeding and watering them they start running after trying to snatch it or pull it. (They’re those bright Sesame Street monsters) I’ve told her to leave it inside from now on while we go out, but didn’t realize the color was an issue. another funny thing is they tend to “push” the kid while she’s walking (which she loves because of the soft chubby bodies pressing her), but I’m wondering...with all the snatching from her and shoving, are they playing w her as she thinks they are, or not?

Some days the energy froM them is so BIG. All the jumping on our heads and grabbing. lol I love it but was wondering if the girls are mad at us, playing with us, or threatening. There’s also high energy days when they stalk us from window to window as we move around the house and it’s just hilarious.

One of the dolls is red. This explains a lot. I noticed whenever we are out in the morning feeding and watering them they start running after trying to snatch it or pull it. (They’re those bright Sesame Street monsters) I’ve told her to leave it inside from now on while we go out, but didn’t realize the color was an issue. another funny thing is they tend to “push” the kid while she’s walking (which she loves because of the soft chubby bodies pressing her), but I’m wondering...with all the snatching from her and shoving, are they playing w her as she thinks they are, or not?

Some days the energy froM them is so BIG. All the jumping on our heads and grabbing. lol I love it but was wondering if the girls are mad at us, playing with us, or threatening. There’s also high energy days when they stalk us from window to window as we move around the house and it’s just hilarious.
I don't know about high energy, do they have lots of room to run around in, lots of things to peck, and enough food? If they do, they must just be very friendly chickens.

I don't know about high energy, do they have lots of room to run around in, lots of things to peck, and enough food? If they do, they must just be very friendly chickens.
Oh gosh they have TONS of room to run around. They have no limits over a good acre and 1/2 and report back to a pretty spacious coop every evening. I think from all these responses they’re just really curious impatient girls lol

I believe this is 'feed aggression'....they are after those 'treats'.
I assume they always have feed available before they are let out?

All the jumping on our heads and grabbing.
Unacceptable.
Any bird that jumps on my body without invitation gets knocked to the ground promptly.

My hens seems to have some days when they’re really aggressive and others when they are very calm. They’re fed well and quite spoiled with space and sunshine, so I was surprised this morning when they came out of the coop alll...moody? One of them jumped up and tried grabbing the food container from me. Another started trying to snatch my kids doll? It was funny but I’m curious about what triggers these very aggressive mood days? They aren’t every day. View attachment 2454721View attachment 2454722

So agree with you, there’s always two of my girls in the ‘mix’ when there’s squabbling, wether it’s the best dust bath hole, a worm or just who goes first into the coop there can be pecking and squeaking! I’ve put it down to the pecking order, take those two out and the five remaining chookies cluck and share happily ,

All the jumping on our heads and grabbing. lol I love it but was wondering if the girls are mad at us, playing with us, or threatening.
Did you let them ride on your shoulders when they were chicks?
That is unacceptable behavior! They must respect you! Knock then down and hold them down
A chicken can do a lot of damage to a face in a split second, including taking an eye.

Back
Top Bottom