Aggressive and nicest breeds of chicken?

I've had my mini flock for a year. I have a SS, BA, EE and HAD a BR. The BR was really aggressive. I purchased these gals all together from the same place at 2 days old.

It started out with her jumping on my back and raking me with her nails. I thought this was normal chicken behavior but the 2nd time she did it she went flying across the yard-sorry sensitive folks but I'm not into nasty behavior with my animals. The she started attacking my SS. I re-homed her after that, what a b#@ch! I love the look of a BR, there so traditional but never again.

I now have the SS, BA and EE and they are all really nice birds. The BA is very calm, quiet and lays 5 eggs /week. The SS is also nice but a little loud and skittesh but lays 5 eggs/week. My EE is very calm, likes to be held and lays 5 eggs/week. I like all of the girls I have left.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had a problem with BRs! Mine aren't aggressive yet but they sure pitch a fit and run and beat up on the others!

The only mean rooster I had over the 10 years I kept a flock before my recent endeavor was a Dominque. He was stand-offish but not unpleasant as a young bird, but the older he got the more aggressive he became. Free ranging him meant no free ranging for me. Master of the sneak attack and relentless once he got started, I battled him up and down a steep hillside one day. I grabbed a trash can lid and used that as a foil to keep him off me. I always thought that anyone watching would have laughed, and laughed and laughed as I performed a series of Grande Jeté and pirouettes.
No rooster before or since has intimidated me that way. I found him a home. I usually ask if the person plans to eat a bird before I give it away because that makes me sad, but that time I did not.

My sweetest hens have been Turkens and Buff Orpingtons. Nicest roos have been Cochins.

My friendliest so far is a hard contest between my Old English Game bantams and my Golden Comets, my Barred Rock is also pretty nice but a little more skittish. Ranking may change though once my Silkie chicks are grown if they live up to their reputation. My nicest rooster would hands down be my Cochin bantam roo, he was kind to both humans and his ladies. My old Brahma roo was also very nice and liked being held and petted. Most skittish would either be my leghorn girls and the leghorn-cochin bantam cross, she'd scream and run if you looked at her a little to hard. My Americana has also always been skittish but i think that's just her. Meanest rooster was a 2 month old someone gave me who i think was RIR mixed with some kind of meat breed, he wasn't handled much when he was young which is really what determines a roosters temperament in my opinion. All other roos I've had besides him have been perfect gentlemen, my current is a Jersey Giant-Cochin bantam cross and is the son of my old Cochin bantam and he'll let strangers pet him.

Most of the Welsummer roosters I’ve had are pretty aggressive. The one we have now is referred to as “the mean rooster” by my kids. He’s about 4 years old now and just gets worse with age. I can’t let him free range anymore because he attacks the kids and dogs.
The best rooster we ever had was a Buff Orpington, “Roger”. He was so good with us/the kids but was a very good protector of his girls. We lost him last year, he just disappeared one day so I don’t really know what happened to him but I sure do miss him.

I have had breeds that had some being aggressive and others being passive. But from my experience the most aggressive were Red Rangers (not really a breed) and the most passive (or nice) were Welsummers. Most Aggressive mothers were Dorking's. Most aggressive Roo I ever had was an Ayam Cemani (likely a mix) who tries to attack me every day. I just pick him up by his feet and carry him around the Urban farm to embarrass him in front of everyone. This works with most roosters but he just tries harder. Actually the best thing to do with an aggressive rooster is to pick him up and pet him until he submits and enjoys the petting... I got beyond that point with this jerk.

When I was in HS I had a barred rock roster that was the meanest bird you'd ever want to see. We had a mixed corgi-type dog that used to kill woodchucks for sport that was deathly afraid of him. When people came to the house they'd honk their horn so we would come out and chase the rooster away so they could get out of their cars.

That being said I think chickens are like people, some are mean, some are nice and a few fall in between, depends on how they're raised and the breed has nothing to do with it.
That's very true, all animals are either mean or nice based on how they're treated and how they're raised. That being said, some chickens are inherently more calm and docile, and of my 8 breeds of chickens, my silver laced Wyandotte's are one of the calmer breeds.

My sweetest roosters have been my two large Easter eggers and silkies. My worst roosters were silkie roosters and an Easter egger rooster. Personality and they way you handle them is the biggest issues.

Our EE roosters are super friendly and docile. Our most friendly hens are our Buff Orpington and BR. We have a super sweet silver laced bantam cochin roo that is super sweet to the kids and always wants to be held. The only mean and skittish one we have is an all black devil horned polish bantam rooster who seems to be the boss of all the other chickens and this mean little white bantam the size of a dove who loves to pull on the wings of all the hens. They are by far the meanest and I think it might be little chicken syndrome. LOL

I was wanting to know what everyone thought was the worse type of breeds you've delt with as far as them being aggressive and what breeds were the nicest and easy to handle?
I find Isa Browns are the meanest to other chickens. Bantams seem very friendly and our Ancona hangs out with the babies that aren’t hers without beating them up.

Back
Top Bottom