Aggressive and nicest breeds of chicken?

My Speckled Sussex roo is horrible! He will attack anything and has given me a small hole in my leg. My Silkie roo is awesome! He loves to be picked up and held for hours and is just a little sweetie. My meanest hen would be one of my Golden Laced Wyandottes. She picks on the other hens a lot. However she does like to be held sometimes and loves to jump on my shoulder. I have many nice hens. Australorps, RIR, Golden Campine, Dark Brahma Bantam are the ones that are very friendly and love to sit it your lap. One of my Australorps burrows her head under my arm and when I push her away, she comes right back. She is soo adorable!

My rhode island reds but roos and hens are by far the most aggressive in my flock... They're the only ones that don't have patches of hair missing... so we'll see how long they last...

Meanest birds I have now are a two month old silkie that enjoys biting people and bullying my year and two year old hens, a spazzed out SLW and an ISA Brown, both of whom are food aggressive towards chickens only. My nicest are my two month old buff orpington, and year old barred rock rooster and EE bantam hen.

My black copper marans are sweet as can be Neilie and Faith but Faiths wing is filled out
But they will jump in the swing with me.:lol:

We have a Barred Rock rooster who can be a bit aggressive at times, but otherwise he is nice. We had to get rid of a white brahma rooster because of it's aggressiveness, but to me it was always very sweet and gentle. So Barred Rock and Brahma hens will probably be good. We have a buff orpington who is the sweetest thing! Our lavender orpington is very soft and sweet, but just a little bit shyer that the buff. We have a white silkie who is so sweet! We also have an ameracauna who are known to be skittish, but she is probably the most social out of all of my chickens! We also have a RIR hen who is very small and pecked all the time, and she knows that we are a safe place for her to come over too. We also have a cream legbar and olive egger who are very skittish but gentle once they are picked up. We also have a white leghorn who is a bit skittish, but calm once picked up. She is very adventurous too! I hope this helped!

The only roos I have owned were white leghorns, and they started to attack my kids..so no more leghorns, right now I have a young EE roo, and we are working with him to keep him tame, and as far as hens go, I believe the leghorn hen is the meanest, she is always chasing the other chicks from the food or even if they get too close to her. The nicest hen I have is a red sexlink, she will walk right up to you and want to be held.
I can agree with your leghorn hen being mean to the others chickens, but to us our leghorn is very sweet! I love her personality! You should try getting to know your hens better because Buttercup is a funny little gal!

I've read that the d'uccles are super friendly ....
and my 7 mos old girl DOES run all over after us .....
always wants to be near us, and will jump on my leg, if I'm just sitting in the backyard in a chair.

And I've read that Silkies are the nicest as surrogate moms.
My silkie, now 3 mos, LOVES to be cuddled and petted at night time....
maybe because I got him when he was 3 wks old, and I had no other chickens at the time, so I would cuddle him and love him to sleep.

This silkie roo will even let my new 2 wk old chickies come and nestle under his belly, neck, tail, and wings at the night cuddle time.....cute, cute, cute.

Lee

That is so cute!! I was worrying that our silkie may be a boy, but now I am not worried at all! But yes, silkies are VERY SWEET! Ours is 5 weeks old and is the cutest thing ever! Now I don't have to worry if she/he is a roo now!

Nicest breed I've ever been around-Brahmas- never met an aggressive roo or hen from that breed.
In my history game breeds have the meanest roosters and as for aggressive hens my Dark Cornish hens will peck really hard when I pick them up.

I just sold my 2 RIR because they were so nasty. (I don't have roos)
They were great layers, but never again.

My EEs and Welsummer are my nicest.

Back
Top Bottom