Aggressive Drake with Ducklings

Jennakgs

Hatching
Jul 2, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping for some advise in regards to our Drake's aggression towards our 5 week old ducklings.

We have 3 adult Runner Hens and 1 Runner Drake. The dominant female successfully hatched 10 ducklings (and we kept 4 of them). Initially, our Drake didn't seem to be too aggressive with them, but we did end up having to separate him from the hens because he kept trying to mate and we were concerned that he would harm the ducklings (all 3 females went broody and we're laying on the same nest).

The ducklings are now 5 weeks old, and we have let them and the females out of the temporary pen to free range again with the Drake (they all normally free range). We noticed that he initially would chase the ducklings off in short spurts. But didn't seem to be harming them. But in the last week, he has started to show more aggression, constantly trying to chase them away from the adult group. He recently injured two of them by plucking out their back feathers.

So now we have permanently separated the ducklings and dominant female from him as they are scared and he is just too aggressive. He still stays by them outside the fence with the other two adult females, and I will let all of them out together for short periods if I am with them (as he still chases but is more cautious).

We have separated him from all of them at different points and he paces and is super anxious inside the pen (unless at least one female stays with him).

The 4 adults are siblings and bonded. I don't want to get rid of our Drake. And understand that some of his behavior can be typical of the male. But I would like some advise on how to train him to be less aggressive, or to get him to accept the ducklings (if that is even possible). Or if anyone has successfully introduced ducklings into a flock with a Drake.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

First, all flocks are different. Drakes can be a handful, I’m sorry yours is being mean to the ducklings. If all the girls were sitting at the same time, now that the ducklings are getting older, they may be letting him mate again, and the ducklings are like kids in the way. He wants his women back! His hormones are likely just raging at the moment, and this behavior should calm down over time.
I would suggest just doing what you are doing, and giving the ducklings a safe place to get away from him when you do try to socialize them. Once they get closer to his size, and once he gets some “lovin” from his girls, he should be ok with them.

First, all flocks are different. Drakes can be a handful, I’m sorry yours is being mean to the ducklings. If all the girls were sitting at the same time, now that the ducklings are getting older, they may be letting him mate again, and the ducklings are like kids in the way. He wants his women back! His hormones are likely just raging at the moment, and this behavior should calm down over time.
I would suggest just doing what you are doing, and giving the ducklings a safe place to get away from him when you do try to socialize them. Once they get closer to his size, and once he gets some “lovin” from his girls, he should be ok with them.
Thanks for the advise. One of the females is mating with him again. And two of the three females are laying eggs again. Only the dominant female who is their mother is not. He seems to be paired with the one that he is mating with. So hopefully that helps that she has returned. They all interact still through the fence, so I hope you are right about them getting along once they are full grown. Thanks again!

i would get rid of the male ducklings, and only keep the ones that are girls. he will be nicer once the girls get a bit older (everyone says keep drakes away for ducklings until laying age, but all of my ducks have started mating at like 10 weeks old)

i would get rid of the male ducklings, and only keep the ones that are girls. he will be nicer once the girls get a bit older (everyone says keep drakes away for ducklings until laying age, but all of my ducks have started mating at like 10 weeks old)
I have thought about this, but we haven't been able to sex them yet (not till they are a bit older). I think there will be at least one male, but hard to know for sure. I guess we will have to continue what we are doing and see as they mature. I was hoping to not have to get rid of any (as it is hard to find homes for drakes), but that may be the only option.

I have thought about this, but we haven't been able to sex them yet (not till they are a bit older). I think there will be at least one male, but hard to know for sure. I guess we will have to continue what we are doing and see as they mature. I was hoping to not have to get rid of any (as it is hard to find homes for drakes), but that may be the only option.
i would start looking for homes now, but lots of people do actually want drakes. they make great pets, and get along well as long as their is no females to fight over

Back
Top Bottom