Aggressive? Dumb? Holding head funny, questionably not eating, 2.5 days old chick

What could this be caused by? The stupidity, I mean, and poor brain development. Could I be responsible for it through the incubation process?

Sometimes the neck gets stuck like this (jammed neck) when the hatching process takes longer than usual or when the chick was helped out of the shell.
Administering B complex and E + Selenium for a few days might help in case it is caused by a parental deficiency.

And this chick looks like it has a vaulted skull which can lead to a variety of neurological issues.

Could I be responsible for it through the incubation process?
Neurological issues tend to come from a line of inbreeding and overbreeding. It’s especially common with birds that people want to make more of. That’s a pretty guy, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the case. It’s not on you though, incubation didn’t cause any mental issues

Sometimes the neck gets stuck like this (jammed neck) when the hatching process takes longer than usual or when the chick was helped out of the shell.
Administering B complex and E + Selenium for a few days might help in case it is caused by a parental deficiency.

And this chick looks like it has a vaulted skull which can lead to a variety of neurological issues.
Head feels squishy.

Domed skull is a DQ for watermael, it is a fat pad in all likelihood

They were a few days late. I think it was humidity problems. It was consistently just a little bit too high.

Last edited:
Alright, here's some high quality glamour shots of my problem child.

IMG_5135.jpg
IMG_5136.jpg
IMG_5143.jpg
IMG_5303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom