Aggressive hen and roo killing new juviniles

choopes

Songster
13 Years
Nov 4, 2010
my farm South Alabama
A year or so back I had 5 hens and one roo in my chicken aria. 4 hens got out and got in the woods, then there were 2. I am raising more babies to introduce. I was able to put 5 juveniles in. The old hen and roo eat first, but the others are okay. Then I tried to introduce another younger Juvenal. They all gave her a hard time. She found a place to hide. I thought she would adjust and be okay. I found her dead this morning. The hen is more aggressive then the roo. Of the 5 new juveniles one or 2 look like a roo, and will need to be eliminated.The problem is I have 10 new birds that are 7 weeks I will need to introduce at some point. I leave new intrducties in a small cage just outside the door for a day to let them get used to each other, before letting then inside. Is it a numbers game? If i introduce a greater number then the existing flock, will they be accepting? I lost another from this same hatching because she got out and never came back. I hate to get rid of the old hen and roo. Both white brama. Both very gentle and non aggressive with me, I am looking into another enclosure. I even slaughtered 5 from this last hatching to thin out. Something I've never done, My main enclosure is 11 X 16. With places to roost and nesting boxes.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I keep my young ones in a pen beside my big chickens and just toss them in when I think their ready. Sometimes I also have a mama hen with them that will protect them. They are adjusted well in like a week or so. I don't introduce them for two+ months. What's funny to watch is when my bantams go up to my pullets/cockerels that are 4 times their size while their eating and peck them and they don't do any thing about it, instead they run of. I would highly reccomend you look into a another enclosure or make the one you have bigger, or divide it in half. Best wishes.

Is it a numbers game?
Sometimes, yes.

Then I tried to introduce another younger Juvenal.
Integrating a single bird is the toughest.

My main enclosure is 11 X 16. With places to roost and nesting boxes.
How big is your coop?
Pics would really help here.

Here's some tips about....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I introduce any newcomers for 1 week behind wire (usually longer) and never had any problems. They have space to get away if necessary though. Chickens can be very nasty to invaders

I would and have reversed it. Put the rooster and hen where you have the chicks, and the chicks have the coop/run for several days. Then add one of the older birds, wait, last add the other. This allows the chicks to explore the new area, and become adjusted to it.

Have multiple hidden feed stations, set up so that while eating at one, a bird is hidden from birds at another bowl.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom