Aggressive Hen

Mor-Lyn-Del Far

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
We introduced 6 more hens to our flock of 4 existing hens and a rooster. They had a day or two of establishing pecking order and all of them seem to be doing ok but one. One of my hens, who is not even at the top of the pecking order (she's like 3rd down) will not leave one of the new hens alone. The poor thing is a nervous wreck and only comes out of the hutch long enough to eat and drink. The aggressive hen (Daisy) will come from the other side of the coop just to jump on her and pull her feathers out. Any suggestions on helping out the new girl? Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
You can try removing Daisy from the flock for a week and then reintroducing her. Understand that then Daisy will probably be picked upon - chicken society is frequently cruel.

Thanks, Sourland. We are going to try that tomorrow if she is still beating up the other one. If that doesn't work, then it's in the pot for her. Shame is she is one of my best layers :( She is a blue speckled maran, she's beating up a cukoo maran. From what I've read, they are not usually aggressive??? My rooster is very laid back and let's them have at it.

Back
Top Bottom