AGGRESSIVE MALE DUCK!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlepip, Nov 8, 2018.

1. littlepip

littlepip Chirping

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    so I have 2 drakes. I know that people say not to keep 2 boys because they will get defensive, and I AM AWARE. The 2 boys were raised together though, and everything was going great. No aggressiveness, no pecking, no fighting ...until now. one of my males will chase the other around and peck at his neck. I grab my male duck whenever he attempts to hurt the other, but he's not learning. I don't want to separate them because they tend to get really depressed, but I don't want my male to get hurt!
    HELP?

2. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Their hormones are starting to kick in, The drakes are going to continue to fight no matter how many times you break it up, I strongly suggest getting rid of the one drake and get 3-4 hens for the remaining drake..

3. littlepip

littlepip Chirping

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    is there any way to train my duck? they are siblings, and can't live without the other, although they do fight. kinda like siblings!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Can you post a video of them "fighting" just so we can see what your talking about? Is your one drake actually attacking and pulling out feathers drawing blood? or is he just chasing his brother till he submits by laying down?

BullChick, puffypoo and sourland like this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your drakes are maturing sexually, and with no hens available the dominant drake is trying to breed the other. Typical drake behavior - and it will get worse towards the spring when hormone levels are even higher.

puffypoo and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. littlepip

littlepip Chirping

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    I have 2 hens....I have 2 hens and 2 drakes....does this still apply?

chickens really likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    2 duck hens ? If so, then this is all about domination. The aggressor wants the other gone so that he can guarantee that only his DNA gets to carry on. Again normal behavior with even less chance of changing.

8. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    too many drakes, Again I would get rid of one Asap. 2 drakes will easily run down your girls and over-breed them once they've reached sexual maturity.. I really doubt the fighting will stop, and I doubt you'll be able to train them..

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I agree with others that they have probably reached sexual maturity and hormones are changing and behavior is changing. Honestly you have to figure out how bad it really is. Ducks will squabble from time to time and pluck feathers from time to time and grab each other from time to time (usually seems to be the back of the neck). Only you can judge if one is in danger of being seriously injured. Even with my peaceful flock I will occasionally see one grab another by the neck and push it away to get to the food first, or I will see one peck at another until it gets out of the pool. Some squabbling is normal. I have also seen a duck that is obsessed with another duck and will charge it and or grab it at any given opportunity. This is not normal. This is not safe. I have seen one grab and pick up a smaller one by the neck, again, not safe. I don't know that you can train them to "behave" but please be careful and watch them closely to determine if the behavior is dangerous or escalating at all.

MillersFarm and sourland like this.
  10. littlepip

littlepip Chirping

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    they haven't been breeding lately, it's winter and it's cold out. If the ducks are outside, they'll leave eachother alone for the most part. we will be separating them in spring. hopefully they will be ok with that. :hmm

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: